Lathe revverse only

If the motor just humms you have power to the run windings but the capacitor is not connected. Look for a loose or disconnected wire on th forward relay. Also a bad relay is a possibility.

Ok, Mark thanks for diagrams. I was able to determine which wire to exchange on contactor so the the momentary (jog) switch activated it.
It confirmed the one on left isbad.
I have ordered 2 contactors,
Contactors are worth doing an occasional bit of preventive maintenance; have you tried cleaning
and burnishing the contacts? Sometimes just dragging a dollar bill between the buttons
fixes it right up. On fancy relays, use a twenty...

If the motor just humms you have power to the run windings but the capacitor is not connected. Look for a loose or disconnected wire on th forward relay. Also a bad relay is a possibility.
Thanks.. good input

Contactors are worth doing an occasional bit of preventive maintenance; have you tried cleaning
and burnishing the contacts? Sometimes just dragging a dollar bill between the buttons
fixes it right up. On fancy relays, use a twenty...
Thanks, good idea, but unable to locate where that is possible. Seems to be sealed within the contactor

It appears the contactors needed are not available for my lathe (4pole 110 coil ) and will need to buy different contacators and transformer . My question, does converting to VFD eliminate contactors and transformer?
Thanks

Attachments

• contactors.jpg
    contactors.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 7
You can get contactors in about any configuration and coil voltage, there are lots of 110V contactors that could be used, as well as auxiliary switch blocks. You just need to match up the switch configuration, you can always go to a higher Hp rated contactor. Motor is single phase, so there is no reasonable VFD option w/o replacing the motor. VFD's do eliminate the contactors and require a direct motor connection, but then there are control issues with proper wiring the low voltage inputs for safety reasons.

Any good sources for contactors?? cjx1 12/22 110 v 4 pole
Received contactors for replacement, but unfortunately they are 3 pole 110v and I need 4 pole . They look exactly the same except,
4th pole has plastic insert. The vendor ( China) says it must be custom and unable to help.
Smithy, the original seller of the Lathe BZ239, has none. Patrick their parts person ( super helpful ) has searched the wharehouse and the internet with no luck. If I am unable to find replacement, then Smithy has different out-put contactors and will need to replace both plus the transformer,
which will need to do if unable to replace the current contactors.Thanks
You can get contactors in about any configuration and coil voltage, there are lots of 110V contactors that could be used, as well as auxiliary switch blocks. You just need to match up the switch configuration, you can always go to a higher Hp rated contactor. Motor is single phase, so there is no reasonable VFD option w/o replacing the motor. VFD's do eliminate the contactors and require a direct motor connection, but then there are control issues with proper wiring the low voltage inputs for safety reasons.
Thanks for clarification. The current contactor is 110 v, 110 coil, 4 pole and 4 auxillary with 2nc and 2 no and 110v to transformer. Do you think the teco cua-422
is the right match
Thanks
just noticed you are in Fallbrook. I am just east in Pauma Valley

After checking more, I don't think this will work, because it does not have the 4 pole in and out that become active on energizing , plus the auxillary
that are 2 nc and 2no

Maybe you should just contact the eBay seller with what you have and what you need. The contactor is available in either either 2NC and 2NO or 4NO, the same for the auxiliary contact block that can be added onto the contactor. You can also call Automation Direct, Wolf Automation, Eisen, etc. to as to the specifications and they can guide you. When you replace the contactor, mark all the wires with labels. I would replace both contactors.
The configuration that I can read on the 2nd one is 3TB41, I cannot read the first.

3TB41 Contactor,NEW Direct Replacement Siemens Contactor 3TB4122 110/120V 2NO2NC
1647186583219.png

Have emailed ebay seller and will call the other. Thanks. The Siemens replacement you pointed out is the one I initailly oredered. Problem is it is a
3pole not 4. Same housing but 4 pole position is a plastic insert ( inert). Will see what is recommended on Monday.

Back