Lathe revverse only

Low ohm reading at power plug is probably the transformer primary- it's normal
Either the forward contactor isn't pulling or it is but there is a loose wire or the contactor is damaged/worn. The problem is an open, not a short.
Can you determine if the forward contactor is pulling? Should make a loud clack like the other one. Is there a carriage switch that selects forward and reverse? They sometimes give trouble. Bad capacitors don't cause this type of problem; both directions would be affected.
Do you have the Smithy manual with schematic diagram? The contactors look different as if one has been replaced already
Testing a system like this under power is a bit dangerous unless you know what you are doing- do you know anyone with some electrical experience you can pay/bribe/extort?
-M

Last edited:
Thanks all, for the suggestions and input.. all very helpful.

Switched the hot wires on motor and now have forward , and little to no reverse. So seems motor is fine.
Have ordered contactor replacements.

The contactor that is energized when depressing the green activation button seems to be the culprit. Do you see anything wrong with switching wires so the other contactor is energized by the green contol button and see if that works? Then, for sure would know it is the contactor causing the problem.
Thanks

Low ohm reading at power plug is probably the transformer primary- it's normal
Either the forward contactor isn't pulling or it is but there is a loose wire or the contactor is damaged/worn. The problem is an open, not a short.
Can you determine if the forward contactor is pulling? Should make a loud clack like the other one. Is there a carriage switch that selects forward and reverse? They sometimes give trouble. Bad capacitors don't cause this type of problem; both directions would be affected.
Do you have the Smithy manual with schematic diagram? The contactors look different as if one has been replaced already
Testing a system like this under power is a bit dangerous unless you know what you are doing- do you know anyone with some electrical experience you can pay/bribe/extort?
-M
Yes, both contactors clack, but the one on the left in picture hums even after contactor is pulling.
There is a carriage lever switch that offers forward and reverse. Today I disconnected the wires on both micro switches. When open there was no ohms reading . When closed the each had ohm reading so from that result, assumed they were OK.
I have a schematic, for 220v set up, ( mine is 110,) but most all of wires seem to match location except for transformer terminals.The 110v diagram that I do have is almost impossible to decipher.

I have the Enco manual that might be very close to yours electrically. Have you asked Smithy about replacement contactors?
I was a bit suspect of the left one also- I think I see what looks like a crack in the plastic- I wager that replacing that one will fix you up.
Unless I'm mistaken the green button is for momentary forward jog only- at least it seem like it must operate that way from studying the schematic

Attachments

• Enco-110-2033-&-2034-Manual.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 13
  • Enco-110-2033-&-2034-contactor-wiring.pdf
    111.5 KB · Views: 8
  • Enco-110-2033-&-2034-Manual.pdf
    63.3 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
When you go to replace one (or both) make sure to take copious notes about the wire numbers/positions
And of course, shut off all power
-M
PS If you can eventually convert the system to run 220/240 volts the contactor lifetime would be considerably extended- the current is halved so the arcing and pitting of the contacts is much reduced

Last edited:
Ok, Mark thanks for diagrams. I was able to determine which wire to exchange on contactor so the the momentary (jog) switch activated it.
It confirmed the one on left isbad.
I have ordered 2 contactors,
relieved to know the exact problem.
Not looking forward to rewire,as you say wire numbers and position is critical.
Also thanks to everyone who offered input.
Judge

I had left message for Smithy early today, but they have not returned call yet. Called around locally with no luck, so ordered them from AliExpress $26 for 2 shipped .
Ebay had them for $37 each ,but the seller was shipping from China (2 weeks) so opted for ALi. Should arrive 10-14 days.

FYI, if ordering from Ali only buy from merchants that ship with ALiExpress. If shipping with Caniro, you may never get package or
can take 60 days or more

Cool. I've had good luck with Aliexpress, although it usually took about a month for anything I ordered
-M

Back