Lathe Leveling feet

I have my 14x40 resting on 3” diameter aluminum pucks that are 3” tall X 8. Then I recessed a pocket for the adjustment bolt on the lathe so it can’t walk off. I’m 5’11” so that put the lathe at a comfortable height for me I do have a padded work mat in front of lathe.
You want to keep the lathe as low as possible so I recommend using the bolts already on lathe and just figure out what’s a good working height for you. Only extend bolts to get the lathe level I wouldn’t use to increase height.

McMaster-Carr sells leveling feet in various sizes. The problem comes in regarding installing them under the machine. You would have to lift the stand pretty high in order to get the feet installed.

I talked to my local machine shop and had them cut me six 3” sections of 3” round 1018 bar. Their cuts were totally square with great surface finish so I just used the little lathe to indent pockets for the bolts and put them under.

If you go this route you can maybe measure the extra distance on your low section and get different lengths cut? That way you aren’t trying to make up all that difference with your leveling bolts

I’ll also add here that I put the Royal leveling feet on my knee mill and they were insanely easy to install and use. They don’t have a large adjustment range, but not having to lift the machine base 6”-8” to get the feet installed was definitely a plus!

Rubber isolation feet though so maybe not the best for your lathe according to prevailing thought?

I did have to buy the extended length rods.

1681579527570.jpeg

Follow up question(s). I'm guessing you want to do away with the orange cast iron feet/spacers and come up with something that's simply a foot pad and an adjustment bolt? I can't tell from the pictures, but are the holes in the cabinet threaded or are they just holes with nuts on both top and bottom?

Follow up question(s). I'm guessing you want to do away with the orange cast iron feet/spacers and come up with something that's simply a foot pad and an adjustment bolt? I can't tell from the pictures, but are the holes in the cabinet threaded or are they just holes with nuts on both top and bottom?
They are threaded - M16
I need some height in order to get level as my floor is horrible

@jareese, I've had good success with these. They are holding up my 4,000 lb mill. They don't make them big enough for my lathe, but they make them in your size up to 8" tall.

If you don't intend to move the machine regularly, I would suggest something as simple as 1/2" thick square or rectangular plates with a hole in each corner and a dimple in the center to locate the leveling leg. You can stack as many as necessary to get within the distance the leg can adjust to. The corner holes can be used to bolt the stack together or fasten them to the concrete. You can also just weld the stack together and not anchor them to the floor if the machine may need to be moved in the future.

We used this method to level hundreds of machines. Some weighing in excess of 100 tons. I currently use them on both my lathes. In my case the floor is close enough to level only 1 plate is needed for each leg. The larger lathe has 8 legs while the smaller one only has 4.

I have foot master casters on my air compressor they are grate but expensive get the ones with extending ratchet handles! I made a prototype foot for my lathe today that I think will work well for me. I used 3 inch round bar stock 4 inch long drilled and tapped one end for a 1/4 bolt this end will have a hockey puck bolted to it. The other end I drilled a 1/2 hole to for studs to drop into will use washers and nut for leveling adjustment.

Back