Lathe installation without a precision level?

Gotcha... It's coming up. I just did the "2 collar" test and with an 8" rod (about 1" diameter) and it came up with a delta of 0.0003"; repeated 3 times so it wasn't luck. I'm sure I could tweak it more but don't find it necessary. That method seems to be the real test as it's done w/o a TS center. I have a good piece of 2" shaft but can't hack it up right now because I think it's needed next week. Anyhow, the longer, 2 donut method is done with a TS center. At the moment, I need to run down to a buddys house because he borrowed my my "balanced lathe dog".

Ray, I'm looking forward to this. Please, if you find the time, do this.
2 collar.JPG

2 collar.JPG

nice work. I did the same test for twist a few months ago and was off a bit more than you but it was within my comfort zone.

I'm actually going to keep the test bar to use with a different test in the future, namely aligning TS to center.

Dave

Splat...

FYI: I spent a good deal of time with an old friend and time went by pretty quick after a couple cold suds. -Won't be in the shop tonight but will post a few pics I promised folks about carbide speeds & feeds and surface finishes. Probably not for a couple hours...

Will do the double donut tomorrow.

Ray

Ray, I'm looking forward to this. Please, if you find the time, do this.

Hi Everyone,

I downloaded the instructions on how to level / align a lathe and the 2 collar turning test on My Forum category Machine Scraping and Rebuilding. I also archived it in the download area too. :))

Back