Lathe carriage stop

Charles scozzari

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
3094E52A-5A7E-4069-8AAB-1093FD56C807.jpeg2D6F7F4E-9199-4DAF-AA9D-7400D3E7EA82.jpeg7667415D-5A30-43F8-9A73-882C9C4D4651.jpegHello,This carriage stop is mounted underneath and rides with the carriage. The first photo shows the cover over the threads to keep it clean. With the cover removed I can run the 5/8 11 rod out up to 14" and lock, I rather this to a clamp on for the bed rail. It should not be used with the feed, But if I do I stop the feed on the run and finish up feeding manually. It is a solid stop that will not move when I'm finishing off a run of 60 custom lenth rods or any other work. Thanks for looking.

That is a great idea!!
Yes, don't ever use it with a power feed... or at least be very attentive and disengage the pf on approach to the stop.
Could be used on both sides in the event one is turning a shaft with a profile on both ends.

Great idea!!

Thank you,
Daryl
MN

Thanks for the LIKE, I really thought I might have opened a can of worms.
hell no. There's always more than one way to do things. It's not wrong, it's different. For me it wouldn't work. my SB9 is open under the head. I had to put a piece of sheet metal there to keep from losing stuff in the bed foot.. But it's a great way to do it.

hell no. There's always more than one way to do things. It's not wrong, it's different. For me it wouldn't work. my SB9 is open under the head. I had to put a piece of sheet metal there to keep from losing stuff in the bed foot.. But it's a great way to do it.
Thanks so much, I appreciate your kind reply.

@Charles scozzari

Please elaborate on the intention of the smaller (1/4"?) diameter portion of the stop rod and particularly the groove (1/8" ID?)

I like the idea. I'm away now, but when I get home I intend to see if your concept is easy to implement on my lathe's configuration.

Hi, I am working on a devise that along with the bulb in question would snap the bulb and trigger the emergency stop circuit through a micro switch before crashing the carriage into the chuck. Without the bulb as part of the stop circuit setting a micro switch to trigger the stop would remove the solid stop design. At present I am using it as it is. I may abandon the idea and cut the bulb off since it works well as is, and I still would have the shear pin as a safety. Thanks and hope this helps explain the intended use of the bulb. Charlie

Last edited:
Back