Lathe Bench and Tool storage

Very cool Firstram.
A couple of years back, Louisiana was giving away money with very lucrative film credits and we were having movie shoots all over town. That’s when I realized the complexities of movie shoots.
There would be 4 or 5 semi trailers all down the block and they would be parked in front of those old Uptown New Orleans homes for movie shoots. I remember seeing a trailer with equipment such as you described with welders and a lathe and such. Really impressive stuff to the film industry.

I took a different approach.
I built a separate “Back Bench”.
It houses all of my related lathe and mill tool boxes and accessories.
It is very handy to have a work surface so close.
I just turn 180 degrees and I am there .

Back bench-2.JPG

Back Bench-1.JPG

I decided to go with this for now. I needed the storage anyways, so if I make a bench later, it's no big deal. I have noticed no problem with the lathe being on wheels, and I've been using it pretty much non-stop for the last few days. The only downside is the hollow box magnifies all the lathe noises, but it's not that different really. The box is a little taller, but I'm 6'1" and it seems to be a nice fit for me, and the mobility really helps in my cramped shop. The box has built in nut inserts into the back for attaching accessories. I'm going to make a back splash to protect whatever is behind it and give me some more storage/mounting options for tools.

IMG_2517.jpg

I took a different approach.
I built a separate “Back Bench”.
It houses all of my related lathe and mill tool boxes and accessories.
It is very handy to have a work surface so close.
I just turn 180 degrees and I am there .

View attachment 389189

View attachment 389190
I have a table behind my machines as well, and love it. Only thing different is I try not to put tool boxes on tables. When you have stuff on the table you can't open the drawers without moving it out of the way first. If you don't have anywhere else to put them you can build risers that will raise them high enough to have the bottom drawer clear a spray can, or drinking cup. It also gives you more storage space.

Back