Lathe Bench and Tool storage

madmatt41

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
I just got a new to me 12" x 36" Atlas lathe and quickly threw together a stand to set it on to get it into operating shape. I was thinking of building a cabinet with drawers for tool and accessory storage to make it a permanent home, but I was looking for ideas, suggestions, and possibly pictures of what everyone has out there that works well for them. I was also wondering about things, like where do you put your chuck keys so that they are in easy reach? Wrench for tailstock adjustment? etc.?

Here's how my Grizzly G0709 14" x 40" is set up. Mine has a back splash which was used to hang a rack for QCTP tool holders, tail stock accessories, Allen wrenches, etc. I use a Harbor Freight 5-drawer roll-around tool cabinet for storage. The lid is secured with angle iron to the open position. That's because a set of 5-C collets from 1/16" - 1 1/8" by 1/64" weigh something!

My first lathe was an Atlas 12" x 36" which was mounted to an angle iron stand. I don't have any photos of it, but made a plywood cubby storage box that set under the lathe. I kept short pieces of stock and tooling there.

Bruce

20180922_110528.jpg

IMG_1672.jpeg

Here's my setup. The grey roll cart to the left provides easy access to lathe tools, drills, collets and chucks. The bins
on the shelf below contain shorter lengths of steel, aluminum, brass and plastic. The roll cab to the right of
the garbage can has machinist's tools with the most commonly used stuff in the black top box. Under the lathe
is for stuff like change gears, the steady rest, lubricants and bits that are rarely used. I have a very small shop: you're looking at
about half of it. :)

Last edited:
Another approach…I keep most common stuff, holders, chucks, centers, etc. within an arm’s reach.
The metrology tools are on a bench behind the operator…turn around, no steps, you’re there. The mill is to the left of the lathe, with a kind of similar setup.

There are three rows of holders, it’s a bad picture.

Note to self: Never reach over the spinning lathe.

751A6AA2-6D04-406C-8AFD-4659F362DDE0.jpeg

Some of the best set ups I've seen used a steel tube frame, to give good strength and rigidity for the lathe and then inset a tool chest inside the frame for storage.

I either have small lathes that are fine to run on top of a tool chest or larger lathes that are on their factory stands, so I can't offer any examples, but Francist above is showing something similar just with a wood stand instead of steel.

I settled on a wood cabinet, sitting on the floor to use the space under the lathe, with full-extension slides so things can't hide in the back. Top drawer is metrology stuff, second is toolholders and other frequently-used items, lesser used in lower drawers and in the cabinet to the side. I just keep the chuck keys in the chip pan, on the chuck-changing way protecting board. The tailstock wrench stays on the tailstock nut most of the time. There's a small rack on the right side of the chip pan with files, other wrenches, a couple screwdrivers, chip brush, etc. I really like the racks in back of the lathe, but I do a lot of woodworking, and even with the lathe well covered things would get dustier than I'd like. And I KNOW I'd reach over the running lathe to get something....IMG_5046.jpg

Last edited:
Another approach…I keep most common stuff, holders, chucks, centers, etc. within an arm’s reach.
The metrology tools are on a bench behind the operator…turn around, no steps, you’re there. The mill is to the left of the lathe, with a kind of similar setup.

There are three rows of holders, it’s a bad picture.

Note to self: Never reach over the spinning lathe.

View attachment 388707
I notice your tailstock chucks stored on what appears to be a wood shelf drilled to size. Is this correct? I tried this a few years back and seemed the wood drawed the humidity from the room in the summer and started to rust the MT shafts where they were in contact with the wood. If you have this problem how did you solve? Maybe in Navada with dry heat that is not an issue. Thanks

My large machine is a Craftsman/Atlas 12X36.(101.27440) In the not too distant past, I faced the same question as you face now. The original stand had the two legs with no horizontal sway bracing. Making a good, solid, well braced wood frame would suffice. Having worked much of my life in steel mills and foundries, I am partial to a steel frame for my machines. But that is a personal issue. The whole point to the small Atlas machines, the lathe, shaper, milling machine, is that they may be mounted on a bench, usually wood framed. When sold by Sears in the retail environment, legs or a stand were an extra cost option. I am in favor of a steel stand, as much as a statement about the quality of lumber available today as my history. But either is sufficient. As long as the machine is kept true, it really doesn't matter. A wood frame will require more frequent checks and possible correction. That is a given. On the other hand, a wood frame will move with the building, adapting to temperature, moisture, and the like. Just rest assured, buildings will move.

Back