Lathe Bench and Tool storage

I have a table behind my machines as well, and love it. Only thing different is I try not to put tool boxes on tables. When you have stuff on the table you can't open the drawers without moving it out of the way first. If you don't have anywhere else to put them you can build risers that will raise them high enough to have the bottom drawer clear a spray can, or drinking cup. It also gives you more storage space.
Lucas,
You are right.
I am in the process of reorganizing my tools and reducing the tool boxes on the top of the bench.

Organizing is a lifelong work in progress.

My lathe is my bench! Most of my lathe tools are behind the machine but I do a lot of work on the removable wood planks I use at the far end of that 6 foot bed. I had some old award plaques that are perfect for this. I routed some vee's to match up with the dovetails on the old gal and really helps for storing items used during a project.

P1080392007.jpg

P1080394009.jpg

P1080397012.jpg

I took a different approach.
I built a separate “Back Bench”.
It houses all of my related lathe and mill tool boxes and accessories.
It is very handy to have a work surface so close.
I just turn 180 degrees and I am there .

View attachment 389189

View attachment 389190
This is the ideal way to go! If I had the room, this is what I'd do. I had to make my lathe table fit with what was there and make sure the lovely wife could park her car in the garage. I never seem to have space, except on the sides, and that's not ideal.

Here's my setup:
DSC00871.JPG
The car is parked in the garage so I had to take t he picture from the side. The car mirror is at the bottom right. The blast cabinet is on wheels so I can move it out of the way if needed.

DSC00872.JPG
At the far left of the image is the door to the house.

I bought a Craftsman workbench on CL. It is packed with everything related to the lathe. I built the table you see with 4x4's bolted to the wall and floor with a double-layer plywood top that is screwed and glued together. I got some 16 Ga steel and screwed it to the table surface. The lathe is bolted to the top. I made a metal pan that fits under the machine to catch the drippings.

I should have made the table higher, since I'm 6'-2", and wider to allow me to set items down in front of the lathe. I matched the width of the cabinet by the door. There wasn't much room for me to stick the table out, either. I didn't want anyone hitting the corner.

The storage behind the lathe is temporary until I figure out what I use and need.

Back