Large rubber washer in 9A tailstock?

@twhite - presently my spindle has no perceivable play and is extremely smooth. I re-read the overhaul instructions in the ILION book and it doesn't look that bad at all. My biggest fear is I won't be able to get it back together as good as it currently is.

In particular, the instructions on adjusting the bearing with shims. Is it likely that what is currently setup (before disassembly) will be just fine or am I going to have to pull existing shims out fuss with it to get it "perfect" again? Using the tail stock to seat the spindle on reassembly looks like my best option. Is that typically effective?

The back gear adjustment is no big deal, I'm sure I can handle that.

If it is running like a top. Then I would not mess with it.
My lathe came from an old model shop. The lathe was purchased new in 1947. I don’t think it ever cut metal of any type. The lathe was encrusted with 75 years of sawdust. I had to do a full disassembly. The only part I had to replace was the compound nut. I had .050 backlash.
ca402933d792c1d0904196a841f60017.jpg

ba9acc7cdd90b98a095201bbf9cb068e.jpg

Cutting oil is my blood.

It wold require taking the handle off (knocking out a taper pin) and then probably also tapping the shaft out of the bearing. I'm going to live with it for now. I think one could find just the right spring that would slide over the lead screw and would offer a more authoritative end stop, but it could be tricky to get that right.

That's why I was thinking the chunky o-ring. Just as you're picturing with a spring, I'm thinking something big enough to interfere (hold it's self) in the bore that the spindle/ram slides in and out of. Slide it right in from the front. I don't know if it's dimensionally practical, and as I said, until I have one apart (don't count on that any time soon...... I'd wanna study the oil path in there and make absolutely sure I wasn't depriving anything in that department... But I don't think removing the handle would even be on the table. Probably not even removing the nut/screw/handle assembly. I "think"..... it might could be done right from the front if one had a hook to retrieve the failed guesses as to what the right o-ring might be. I dunno... That's on the "one day" list right now.

In particular, the instructions on adjusting the bearing with shims. Is it likely that what is currently setup (before disassembly) will be just fine or am I going to have to pull existing shims out fuss with it to get it "perfect" again? Using the tail stock to seat the spindle on reassembly looks like my best option. Is that typically effective?

I have this project looming in my future. I have a thought, and a question for those who have been there- To "release" the bearings isn't gonna buy but a couple of thousandths of clearance anyway, and it APPEARS that the theoretical diameters are good for this..... If one were to assume the spindle was in good condition, in spec, free to move, why couldn't one slide the spindle out without releasing bearings and disturbing that seventy years of patina on and around the shim area, inside that narrow little slot?

Back