Lagunmatic CNC machine why not!

You guys are having too mach fun :D

Would love to see the whole machine and/or a wide shot of the panel.

You don't want to see inside the panel. It's like gazing at Medusa. Bad things will happen. At least bad things happen when I look. Lol
I'll add some photos here soon

Alright! Back to working again. One Klop board and one servo amplifer later I now have 3 axis under computer control. Small to do list now.
1) limit switches.
I think I will wire 4 limit switches to the kanalog with 24v. 1 for x 1 for y and 2 for z. X&Y have a track bar system with pegs to hit a limit switch. Z has a block that will will be hitting a switch at the bottom and a switch at the top. Seems like I would want a home switch for the top of Z access, so that the quill is in the right spot for changing out tools. Can I wire all 4 together or should the top of Z be wired to Kanalog by itself?
2)Tune the motors
3)Download Mach3 or 4 and figure out how to control the VFD
4)Clean up the wires in the control box.
5)Learn G-code lol
6)Done.

Alright! Back to working again. One Klop board and one servo amplifer later I now have 3 axis under computer control. Small to do list now.
1) limit switches.
I think I will wire 4 limit switches to the kanalog with 24v. 1 for x 1 for y and 2 for z. X&Y have a track bar system with pegs to hit a limit switch. Z has a block that will will be hitting a switch at the bottom and a switch at the top. Seems like I would want a home switch for the top of Z access, so that the quill is in the right spot for changing out tools. Can I wire all 4 together or should the top of Z be wired to Kanalog by itself?
2)Tune the motors
3)Download Mach3 or 4 and figure out how to control the VFD
4)Clean up the wires in the control box.
5)Learn G-code lol
6)Done.

Unless you're hurting for I/O, wire each limit switch individually. Then you know which limit is triggered and how to correct wiring issues if they are present.

What VFD are you using?

Wire them individually is probably wise.
Ive got 6 I/O for limit switches. That would leave me with one open or a touch plate.
Running a Lapond VFD that I got of Amazon

Measuring on the voltmeter the 24v system is more like 25.8v. Is that safe for the 24v rating on the the Kanalog? Should I run a 12v source for the limit switches?

Happy to hear you got the wheels turning. :)

Most industrial 24V inputs will take about 30V max, but I'm not sure on the Kanalog. Dynomotion is going to have to answer that one for you. Many times power supplies are adjustable, you may be able to adjust the output.

With the holiday hustle I was able to try the machine out on made a little plate for my other mill. Come out not the purdiest but I made it. Lol
It took me two days just to make the little part in fusion360. I've still got quite a few things to figure out on Fusion but I was able to make something.
I had the feeds way to fast. But it cleaned up alright. There was a hole to see the belts and it needed a cover. Was the only piece of flat stock I had laying around I made it work.
And here is a little shot of the inside of the cabinet all cleaned up.
I don't have to vfd hooked up to the computer. Haven't figured that out. And I'd like to get a air selnoid to make that automated as well. And then more Fusion.
Big thanks to all who helped share your knowledge.

Attachments

• IMG_20200103_181608041.jpg
    IMG_20200103_181608041.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20200103_201753049.jpg
    IMG_20200103_201753049.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20191218_154400083.jpg
    IMG_20191218_154400083.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 14
With the holiday hustle I was able to try the machine out on made a little plate for my other mill. Come out not the purdiest but I made it. Lol
It took me two days just to make the little part in fusion360. I've still got quite a few things to figure out on Fusion but I was able to make something.
I had the feeds way to fast. But it cleaned up alright. There was a hole to see the belts and it needed a cover. Was the only piece of flat stock I had laying around I made it work.
And here is a little shot of the inside of the cabinet all cleaned up.
I don't have to vfd hooked up to the computer. Haven't figured that out. And I'd like to get a air selnoid to make that automated as well. And then more Fusion.
Big thanks to all who helped share your knowledge.

Investing in fusion is a good idea so don't let the initial learning curve bother you. I'm very glad I did and i find that after I made the initial investment in learning I can make parts very very fast.

A few tips off the top of my head.

1. The sketch mirror function is really handy. Think about how you might use it when choosing your origin and initial layout. Center rectangles are kinda key to this as they give you a centered point to use for mirroring.

2. Sometimes a new sketch is better than using the hole tool.

3. Sometimes sketching a feature once is better than trying to work them all in a sketch. The patter tools allow you to take a combine/cut and reuse it.

4. watch some videos on how to model threads with and without the thread tool. some good features to learn in there for other things.

5. the FEA simulations are really handy and fairly easy to get started with. worth watching a few videos.

6. the learning curve in the cam mode was much steeper for me, I should invest in watching more how to videos on how to do cam templates.

7. parameterizing parts is great but it is sometimes better to restart from scratch vs trying to parameterize and existing design.

8. Learn how to use both as-built joints and regular joints. As-built joints are nice but hard to change and I've found it better to make the parts in separate files and then assemble them in a new file with as-built joints since they can make it a bit hard to make changes. Regular joints really help test your design and are easier to make updates around.

Back