Lagun FTV-2s

Examining my mill today and my appreciation for it grows every time I use it. This is a complex beast of a machine. Lots and lots of learning for a non-machinest like me.

Couple of things still a mystery to me so I'll ask.

View attachment 460046

View attachment 460047
Note your power switch has positions 1 & 2 (forward & reverse). These positions correspond to the spindle speed plate above it. When you put the mill in back gear (Lever A in your photo, with corresponding 1 & 2 positions - 2 for back gear), the spindle rotation changes from CW to CCW. Turning the on/off switch to #2, reverses the spindle rotation back to CW rotation (the main power switch is simply a spindle rotation reversing switch. With the spindle stopped, move Lever A to 2. If it resists, turn the spindle by hand and it will go into place.

The small lever below Lever A engages and disengages the spindle power feed. There are three other levers required to use the spindle power feed - two on the front of the head and one on left side. The two on the front of the head are visible in your photo. The one with the knurled end has three positions. When pulled out, the spindle power feed is downward. When pushed in, power feed is up. When in the middle position, it is in neutral/disengaged. The lever with the black knob in your photo engages and disengages the power feed. The other lever on the left side, not in your photo, has three speed positions. The plate next to is is self-explanatory. If this lever doesn't want to engage, turn the spindle by hand and it will go into position. Note the threaded spindle rod with the micrometer adjustment. You can set this where you want it, and the power feed with automatically disengage when stop contacts it.

I hope this helps. These functions are the same on BP's and their clones.

Thanks guys. I’ll report back soon.

While some of the controls are in physically different locations and orientations, this will give you the gist of what knob/lever does what. James does a pretty good job on this video.

This video helped a lot. Thx

This video helped a lot. Thx
I'm not familiar with a Lagun, but he mentions drilling and boring with the Power Down Feed. The PDF gear train is tiny compared to the size of the mill and really should be reserved for boring or low torque things only. Your manual should list a maximum drill bit size if you must! My Bridgeport lists 3/8" as the max.

How you making out Dahl22 ? I missed this thread recently .

Am I correct in loosening these 4 bolts to swivel the mill head? 3 loosen but 1 locks up solid after ever so slight movement.

IMG_0062.jpegIMG_0063.jpeg

I believe I rotate/swivel the head here….

IMG_0060.jpeg

Yes, the four bolts on the front are loosened (it's like a T-nut arrangement in a circular track) and the worm screw on the back that you photographed provides the leverage to position the head. It also helps to support the head a little bit with your hands while turning the worm screw, otherwise the wear and tear is accelerated. If the tight bolt moves a little, it might be enough to rotate the head. It is possible that it is seized, but more likely to be galled or mis-threaded by a prior owner. Worst case you would have to to power it out and pull the head, then repair/remake the track nut and fixing bolt. Hopefully it doesn't come to that.

Yes, the four bolts on the front are loosened (it's like a T-nut arrangement in a circular track) and the worm screw on the back that you photographed provides the leverage to position the head. It also helps to support the head a little bit with your hands while turning the worm screw, otherwise the wear and tear is accelerated. If the tight bolt moves a little, it might be enough to rotate the head. It is possible that it is seized, but more likely to be galled or mis-threaded by a prior owner. Worst case you would have to to power it out and pull the head, then repair/remake the track nut and fixing bolt. Hopefully it doesn't come to that.

Got it! Thank you.

92EFA724-C7C1-4AA8-8E57-0A0CEC3A7EBF.jpeg

Back