L00 four jawed chuck

Well...to each there own. And... all lathes are a little different in design. But I too have a Clausing 5900 series lathe. And even with my 8” chuck... I have to be careful with the jaw sticking out. Almost crashed into my cross-slide on more than one occasion. After that I just didn’t want to try a 10” chuck. I seldom have anything that big in my lathe to start with so I figured if I have to cross that bridge, I’ll just rig up something on a face plate.
Heck, I seldom even use my 8” four jaw chuck. But, like I say....to each there own. That’s what makes the world go round. The world would be a boring place if we were all the same.

Last edited:
I under stand. I will be the only one using this lathe. The way I see it the jaw, it self, is the limiting factor. How far from the edge of the Chuck before it reaches interference with the bed or cross slide , on any size chuck unless it’s too small to reach. The difference between 8 inch and 10 inch, as they will both reach the bed, is will the jaw be supported 80% or 40% at that extension. I agree , it will not be used often, but when you need it, you need it. Why penalize your strengh and possibly reach. At this time I do not have a face plate, but I am looking. Weight of Chuck is no problem as I have a 500 lbs air hoist over my lathe.

Bones

I prefer to have the chuck body closer to the swing size. The body size makes no difference as far as way clearance. I don't like the jaws sticking out anyway, too much of a chance for you to get caught by one. Besides the larger chuck will run smoother and should dampen vibration, and should improve the finish.

Yes, but a 12" chuck could be too large to run on a 12" lathe. It depends upon the actual rather than the nominal diameter. I don't recall ever seeing an 11" chuck so go with the 10".

Yes, but a 12" chuck could be too large to run on a 12" lathe. It depends upon the actual rather than the nominal diameter. I don't recall ever seeing an 11" chuck so go with the 10".
That is why I want a 10 inch Chuck fir my 12 inch lathe.

Bones

I'm not a fan of running large chucks primarily because of the weight to spindle size/bearing ratio.
I would consider a 15" chuck on say, an old 15" LO Colchester and discount a 10" chuck on a 10" Atlas.
If were talking about v-belt machines, motor hp could also be a factor when taking reasonable-depth cuts.

I'm not a fan of running large chucks primarily because of the weight to spindle size/bearing ratio.
I would consider a 15" chuck on say, an old 15" LO Colchester and discount a 10" chuck on a 10" Atlas.
If were talking about v-belt machines, motor hp could also be a factor when taking reasonable-depth cuts.
No more than I run one, the weight would never be a wear out factor or damage a spindle. My lathes are old heavy lathes. The reach of a larger Chuck would benefit me, more. It would not be on the lathe much and small cuts would balance out the stress. A heavy cut would put way more stress on bearings with a small chuck than a large chuck and a small cut.
99 % of the time I would be running an 8 inch three jaw.

Bones

I have an 8 inch 4 jaw that is looking for a new home. It has an integral L00 mount and T- nut slots the face. It doesn't have a manufacturers name only that it was made in Germany. I used it for years on my 5914 but I recently got a good deal on a 8 inch Buck.
I also have a 10 inch 4 jaw Skinner, though it's a plain back with no mount.
What size faceplate are you looking for?
I can get some pictures tomorrow if you're intereste
I have an 8 inch 4 jaw that is looking for a new home. It has an integral L00 mount and T- nut slots the face. It doesn't have a manufacturers name only that it was made in Germany. I used it for years on my 5914 but I recently got a good deal on a 8 inch Buck.
I also have a 10 inch 4 jaw Skinner, though it's a plain back with no mount.
What size faceplate are you looking for?
I can get some pictures tomorrow if you're interested.
Do you still have that Chuck?

I still have both of them, they're listed in the Machine Parts for Sale thread.

Back