L00 four jawed chuck

boneyard51

Registered
Registered
Looking for a L00 four jawed Chuck maybe 10 in also a face plate . Have other chucks to trade.

Bones

I have an 8 inch 4 jaw that is looking for a new home. It has an integral L00 mount and T- nut slots the face. It doesn't have a manufacturers name only that it was made in Germany. I used it for years on my 5914 but I recently got a good deal on a 8 inch Buck.
I also have a 10 inch 4 jaw Skinner, though it's a plain back with no mount.
What size faceplate are you looking for?
I can get some pictures tomorrow if you're interested.

Well , I take a look. Was kinda hoping for a little larger four jaw, as I have a 12 inch lathe and want to be able to grab an item as larger as possible. But folks aren’t exactly breaking down my door with chucks! Lol. Same with the face plate , would like a 12 inch , but can’t be choosy. Could you send me some pictures, please?

Bones

Check the weight on a 12" chuck... make sure you have a way to lift it.
I have an 8" 4J on my Clausing (12" swing) and would not want anything larger.
Most of the time the 6" 3J lives on there.

Check the weight on a 12" chuck... make sure you have a way to lift it.
I have an 8" 4J on my Clausing (12" swing) and would not want anything larger.
Most of the time the 6" 3J lives on there.
Yeah, sometimes I get the big eye! Lol

Bones

I also have a 12" swing lathe and would not want a 10" chuck on it. An 8" chuck - with the jaws fully extended - almost hits the bed. You probably could not use the full clamping range of a 10" chuck due to the jaws smacking the bed.

The weight is a separate issue and for that reason I'd want to stick to an 8".

An 8" with T slots would be really nice!

Here is my 8" chuck holding 5.5" stock. I could comfortably hold 8 or 9" stock with the OD jaws and probably the full 17" stock with ID jaws gripping a recess and the gap pulled.
image010.jpg

A 10" on a 12" swing means that the jaw CAN NOT STICK OUT more than an inch. I don't think you have any more capacity than an 8" chuck which allows you 2" stick out of the jaws.

An 8" chuck with the jaws stuck out 2" will have the majority of the jaws unsupported and very little of the jaws still in the slots. The 10", on the other hand, would have the majority of the jaws still in the slots. The 10" will be much more stable. As a rule of thumb, you don;t want more than about half of the jaws free of the chuck body.

An 8" chuck with the jaws stuck out 2" will have the majority of the jaws unsupported and very little of the jaws still in the slots. The 10", on the other hand, would have the majority of the jaws still in the slots. The 10" will be much more stable. As a rule of thumb, you don;t want more than about half of the jaws free of the chuck body.
That’s kinda what I was thinking. That’s why I was wanting 10 inch or a 12 inch, since I have a 12 inch lathe. I think it will swing more than twelve inches . Haven’t measured it. The four jaw will be seldom used, but needed when needed.
It ‘s kinda like you can tighten a 1/2 inch nut with a 24 inch crescent, but you cannot tighten a 2.5 nut with a 6 inch crescent. Same with the face plate.

Bones

Back