Knurling without a lathe?

Since knurling actually increases the dimension of the stock, another possibility for "hillbilly" knurling would be to use a center punch. If you wanted it to look like knurling grind a square point on your center punch, which I find is easier to see than a round point. If you want to be particular you could glue graph paper to the piece to make the spacing more uniform. My center punches are ground to square points, but I haven't bothered to put graph paper on anything. A square ground center punch will pick up a drill pretty quick, too.

Kevin

you have a hand knurler ??? chuck your part in the mill & close the knurler on it .
dont have a mill ? us e the drill press ? ...donthave one ? buy some machinery .or use a chisl & file ...
.i have a shop made one to use on the lathe ...two lengths of stock hinged at front abt 10 in long ...two knurs on the bottom , one on top ....hinge at fornt is by a short bar w/ xtra hing e holes to open size up for 2in & larger knurls . works GREAT can even mke longer knurls if careful ...i use it now most of the time even tho i built a HD scissors type
best wishes
doc

I just held the part to be "knurled" in a wooden jawed vise so as to not mar it. I rotated the part as needed to keep filing it.

I mean, did you place the piece into a vise, a collet or something to hold it?
And how did you move the file to knurl all around?
I don't think you used the method explained in the Sep 1926 issue of Popular Mechanics: http://books.google.it/books?id=b9gDAAAAMBAJ&lpg=PP1&pg=PA520#v=onepage&q&f=false

One face of his vise (and/or one of his files) is going to take a beating. He should use three files, knurl two pieces at once, and save his vise (or at least use a couple of rollers).

I've seen there are hand knurlers, like the one sold by Enco: http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?PMPAGE=215&PMITEM=250-1715
I've tried to make a similar one using an old pipe cutter and two knurling wheels I got on eBay, but the attempt was unsuccessful: all I got was scratched metal with just a ghostly diamond pattern :bawling:.
Since sometimes it would be nice to have knurled knobs, is there a source of knurled rod, which can be simply cut, drilled and tapped to the size I want, without to have to buy complete (expensive!) knobs, hard to find in the right size?

Hi

A good knurling tool is easy to make.
On my site there is a full description and drawings of a knurling tool that works very well.
This type of knurling tool does not push the workpiece away in the lathe.
There is only one pressure on the workpiece itself.

http://home.scarlet.be/mini-draaien-frezen

greetings
Gerard

greetings
Gerard

Ok, I tried it. Sacrificed a bit of 1/2" scrap rod to science and put a couple of old mill files at risk (chipped one of them). Setup:

P1010026.JPG

Results:

P1010030.JPG

Better than I expected. Not show quality, but if all you need is a rough surface, ok. I had to really wallop the file, though.

P1010026.JPG P1010030.JPG

Ok, I tried it. Sacrificed a bit of 1/2" scrap rod to science and put a couple of old mill files at risk (chipped one of them).

I was going to do the exact same thing, I'd never heard of this before now, thanks for doing that and posting the results.:))

Ok, I tried it. Sacrificed a bit of 1/2" scrap rod to science and put a couple of old mill files at risk (chipped one of them). Setup:

View attachment 80385

Results:

View attachment 80388

Better than I expected. Not show quality, but if all you need is a rough surface, ok. I had to really wallop the file, though.

Thanks for the demo, John, your result is surprising!
I guess if I use my Cheapex™ files the rod will transfer its flatness on them!
:roflmao:

Back