Knife sharpening systems

Do you recommend both leather and balsa strops?

I would say that depends on what level of blade edge you want to achieve. I use 14 & 10 micron paste with the leather strops followed by 5 & 3.5 micron paste with the balsa strops. I don't always finish with the 5 & 3.5 micron though depending on knife being sharpened. And for kitchen knives I don't really even bother. I just strop a bit with the leather & 14 micron just to remove any micro burr that might be left behind.

I've been using that strop setup for years so there may possibly be newer different stropping options available today.

There are a lot of options, but I don't want to get carried a way. Sounds like you have it down, so I'll follow your process.
Only thing I ever used was a tig torch nozzle and the back of my belt.
Thanks.

Haha! A belt does work good though!

Yes there are a lot of options & it can add up in price quick. But the great thing is you can add stuff on later on as you see fit. Heck when I first got the WE, the 800-1000 diamond grit stones weren't even out yet. Strops didn't come out until years later.

I have blank blocks with aluminum backing that I attach 1500 & 2000 grit sand paper to. I use these after the 1000 diamond & before I move to the strops. And for some knives this is what I finish off at (I always do at least a quick final strop though). These are what essentially helps me get the mirror polish when I want. I do believe there are fine grit option stones for in between 1000 diamond and stropping now. But I'm cheap & the fine sandpaper works for me.

If you find yourself reprofiling blades a lot, pick up the 50-80 grit diamonds. They are really corse but sometimes it takes for ever to reprofile starting with the 100 grit & they are worth it. I didn't have them for the longest time. This reminds me that I need to replace my 100/200 & 800/1000 stones soon.

I have a KME. It does great for what I do. The WE is the best, but pricey. The KME isn’t “cheap” once you get the extra strops, etc but not terrible either. Similar in concept but only used one strop and you flip the blade. It’s easy to use.

I use a mini belt like the one shown a few pictures up, only not as fancy, very cheap and inferior chinese from ebay. However it works for sharpening my kitchen knives, these are the only knives I have, I then finish them on a steel that my local butcher got for me. Not sure if they would be good enough to shave with but they will cut paper, and finely slice tomatoes and other soft foods.

I used the Lansky system for a long time but eventually didn't like it because the stones are pretty narrow and easy to rock so only the edge of the stone contacts the knife. It seemed to me that the resultant much higher pressure/area caused almost instant dulling. Smiths has a similar system but the diamond stones are wider and far more resistant to rocking. I used it a lot as well.

I eventually made my own sharpener, basically a variation on the Edge Pro. I bought a set of their stones, but it's pretty easy to make holders for other types. In addition to that, I got a leather strop for the final edge.

Do any of you guys and gals use any type of knife sharpening system, like the Wicked Edge or TSPROF. Been wanting to invest in one, but would like to hear from someone here if possible.

Jim
I like to take out nicks with a diamond stone and then sharpen free hand with a 2x72 belt grinder, 80 grit,then 220 and 600.

Back