Knife sharpening systems

jbobb1

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Do any of you guys and gals use any type of knife sharpening system, like the Wicked Edge or TSPROF. Been wanting to invest in one, but would like to hear from someone here if possible.

Jim

I find manually sharpening my blades very zen and centering...that is the most hippiest thing I have EVER said. It's time consuming but enjoyable. Before I through out my experiences with different products and my hands down favorite, are you sold on a powered unit as the one you are asking about?

These systems are manual. Due to me not being very good at describing things, if you were to look these up on YouTube, you'll see how they operate.
I used to (try) sharpen by hand, but never got very good at it. I have gotten a few request to sharpen knives, so I thought about making the investment.

I usually just sharpen with a file and hone or quickly on the grinder. Inherited a Craftsman like this
which works well. Been going to make my own rendition of a Edgepro
But haven't got to it yet. More ways to skin a cat!
Aaron

I use the Razor Sharp system and it works for me. I can sharpen lathe tools just fine but I totally suck at sharpening knives on stones, and I have some really good stones.

@darkzero uses the Wicked Sharp system. Hopefully he will be along to comment.

I used to think that I was good at freehand sharpening until I bought the Lansky system mentioned by Ulma Doctor. Simple, easy and fast. It will hone a lasting edge that will easily shave and can shave fingerprint ridges off even when using the steepest bevel angle (30 degrees).

This type (stone size and grits vary according to how much you want to spend.) This has blown away ANYTHING I have used. I'll be honest, my Lansky kit is clunky, can scratch the surface of some of my blade if something isn't put in there to protect surface and all round, was never impressed. I can fold a sheet of paper into a tube and it will still slice like a razor. Super happy. Even the biggest version I found was under $70, you could try the $30 version and see what you think. I was skeptical because of price but this is one of those massed produced Chinese things.
Sharpening System

I have the Wicked Edge & I absolutely love it. My buddy who is a big knife nut & who was the one that got me into knives used the Lansky (diamond version) for a long time. He finally upgraded to the Wicked Edge some years ago. I'm not familiar with all the new systems on the market today. The Edge Pro was the other popular sharpener on the market back then.

My WE may look different than what's offered today. I got the Wicked Edge when they were still fairly new & I got it for cheap. As the years went by & they made improvements, everytime I called them to buy the new upgraded parts, they gave em to me for free telling me it was covered under warranty. They are great people that stand behind their products.

Anyways, it is a nice system but these days it's pretty expensive with all the bells & whistles. I actually just got done sharpening a bunch of new kitchen knives for my buddy.

20210404_145149.jpg
20210328_164735.jpg

If I take the time to go through all the grits, then to the leather & balsa strops I can get a razor sharp mirror edge. I use mine mostly to sharpen pocket knives. A few more that I did for friends.
20160904_004837.jpg
20190821_213022.jpg
20161102_214501.jpg

I also have a Work Sharp but the Ken Onion Edition. I use it for big knives that are too big for the WE. I don't use it much except for when that one friend decides to buy another machete or sword or whatever and asks me to sharpen them. I use the blade grinding attachment, makes it like a mini belt sander. I've never used the stock attachment & have no idea how it performs. I won't try sharpening any of my own pocket knives with this one though. I think of the Work Sharp like the Drill Doctor of knife sharpeners. Well probably cause it's made by Darex too. :D
20210424_153436.jpg
20180612_135928.jpg
20190227_195935.jpg

The WE is a bit pricey, but I'm sure I would put it to good use. Hearing your opinion is swaying their direction. I have the Edge Pro, but don't like it at all.

Back