Knee Mill Power Downfeed

Besides rpm way to slow. I would say his bit wasn't sharp enough for the task. I wouldn't use power down feed for drilling 3/4" deap. Need to clear chips once in a while. But that is just my opinion.

Thank you Bob.
Cathead, we are trying to help diagnose your problem. Perhaps there is a sufficiently tight spot in your quill travel to cause it to disengage regardless of tool loading. If you dont want the help, dont ask.

Cheers Phil

OK, folks. I did my home work this morning and came up with some interesting findings. For this down feed
contraption to work, the overload cogs must not slip in the feed mechanism and the engagement handle must
stay engaged. I took a critical look at both and made some adjustment on both. Also, I took a close look at
the drill bit and gave it a good honing. It isn't the best quality bit but good enough to spin off some nice spirals.
OK, fine, progress is being made as a through hole was generated. Then I honed up a 3/8 bit and that worked
as well so on to a 1/2 inch bit just to see. That worked too. There was a bit of experimenting in this whole
process and I found that the drilling speed was pretty much acritical from 50 RPM to 700+RPM. During the
process while the cog was kicking out intermittantly, I found that oil on the drill bit did lessen the cog from slipping somewhat.
I think the main thing that helped was advancing the overload cog spring a little more and honing the inside of the cover
that holds the overload cog. I don't think it was set up properly at the factory, probably the reason I got used
to not using it. Also what helped in this process was the responses that I got from everyone. I don't give up
easily and somehow enjoy the challenge. I hope that I didn't ruffle anyone's feathers too much as that certainly was
not my intention. Also, I spent an hour fine tuning a bunch of old drill bits so that was an added bonus.
Thanks everyone for your responses and putting up with me and to Nelson for his part in Hobby Machinist forum.

Last edited:
Back