kids, when will they ever learn

GREAT IDEA! I will be stealing this idea for my kids when a little cooler weather is here to stay in the fall!

Thanks for all the thanks guys, it really was so much fun to see their interest as they turned and drilled. I have a felling this is going to consume all my spare stock in the shop, we made another tonight for my oldest daughters friend who is sleeping over tonight.

The next project I am thinking about is to do wood and metal like a friend of mine did. Here's the video.

[video=youtube;In4djAjl4sk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=In4djAjl4sk[/video]

I tried to get some pieces of titanium from a metal supplier close to me but they don't stock it and minimum order is $500 :nuts:. Anyone know where I can get some 3/4" titanium round bar in a 6" length close to Toronto?

And I will tell you, the smile on your face will be as big as theirs when you see them working the lathe.

Thanks again to all.

You guys new to machining take heed. I was OK with this video till I saw that hand go that close to a spinning chuck to catch the cut off part. This is not recommended procedure. Not if you value your fingers. This is a NO-NO. Other than that, nice ring.

"Billy G"

You guys new to machining take heed. I was OK with this video till I saw that hand go that close to a spinning chuck to catch the cut off part. This is not recommended procedure. Not if you value your fingers. This is a NO-NO. Other than that, nice ring.

"Billy G"

Billy, I agree 100%. Also remember this is titanium and its very hot once parted so you don't want to be catching it even if your hand is not close to the chuck. I normally use the end of an acid brush (which are always handy around my lathe) to catch bored parts.

Mcmaster has grade 2 titanium for a bit cheaper than the price on the 6AL4V from onlinematals. As I recall they don't ship to Canada though...

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-titanium-rods/=nt3jyq

- - - Updated - - -

I'll also add that Titanium is especially cool because it can be "flame annodized", producing some pretty striking colors.

Back