kids, when will they ever learn

schor

Registered
Registered
My 9 year old came out to the shop saying she was bored, mom and her 11 year old sister were out. I had some 3/4 brass in the lathe and I said, want to play with the lathe, she said yes. I didn't tell her what we were making. It was just a simple ring and she was elated when she realized what she made. Sis came home and she had to have one too, so we spent another 15 mins turning another. They mostly turned the tailstock to drill.

Today after dinner, they wanted more rings so I chucked up some aluminum, showed them how to face it and turn the outside (they controlled the autofeed, then they drilled the center again. Drilling consisted of center drilling and progressive drills. And the turned the cross slide while parting.

I think my kids are learning.

Ajax-20130725-00656.jpgAjax-20130725-00653.jpg

Steve

Ajax-20130725-00656.jpg Ajax-20130725-00653.jpg

Check this out and tell me if they had fun.

Ajax-20130724-00650.jpgAjax-20130724-00647.jpg

Steve

Ajax-20130724-00650.jpg Ajax-20130724-00647.jpg

Great idea!

I have two daughters (15 and 19) that would really love something like that (maybe the wife too). Mine won't be involved in the making but they'd love to have them just the same.

I've got a new project to start thinking about.

Thanks for posting.

-Ron

I never could get my three sons interested in metal working. I should of had girls! Nice to see you took the
time and that your girls are enjoying the rings.

Great job!
Nothing wrong with females in the shop!

I am now off to my ambulance shift, I am likely not to see such a fine example of parenting, and young lady enthusiasm.
There is hope for the USA!

Daryl
MN

I've got a granddaughter that would love something like this. Thanks for the tip!!!

+1 for you!

This makes me VERY happy! I can't wait for my daughter to be old enough! I am already teaching her things, and showing her the machines, and let her watch the shaper.

She already loves shiny metal! Thanks man!

Bernie

Back