Justifying a Larger Expensive Lathe?

Justification? I want ... is a good justification. :) Maybe what you should really ask here is "what can I do with a bigger lathe?"

I started with a 10x22 Chinese made lathe (Grizzly), and have added three older lathes (Monarchs) 14x30, 12x20, and 26x48, that I'm fixing up to be workhorse. And a WWII era mill. These are my retirement toys. I'm having to build a new shop to put all the stuff in. It'll be my third. And I've gone the pilot/CFI/airplane route too, although sold the plane and have not been PIC in 15 years.

Last edited:
1228, baby brother to the big boys, and big brother of the smaller ones. Too bad Matt does not have a T in the smaller sizes.

Last edited:
Thanks again for all the responses. I think I have narrowed my choices. Unfortunately, although I really wanted the 1236T, after considering the size and weight, I really don't think I can fit it in my garage shop or even get it in there due to the mass of it. Also, I cannot afford it right now.

So, I am thinking of a PM1022v instead. It appears to be the perfect size, weight and price point. By the way, the price is quite extravagant for me; but, I can "justify" it :big grin:. However, I also keep thinking of a South Bend 9a, if there is one to be found, where the ways are in very good condition. Not too many used lathes near me.

Probably better to start a new thread with other questions on which lathe.

If you don't need the larger swing and it sounds like you don't, then an older 9 or 10" lathe with a quick change gear box would probably suit you well. The big US brands are fairly obvious, but there are some good Taiwan machines imported in the 80s that would also be a good option.

Back