Just goy my Model 55

Re: Just got my Model 55

I.RonMann

I thank you for the offer on the replacement Delco motor, but I replaced the motor with a new one from Lesson, and changed the belt to a link belt, sanded and painted the pulley cover ( as well as 1/2 the mill ), my next step is to get a VFD to replace the static converter, have been working on my lathe, or more like tweaking it ( change to a QCTP from turret post ), truing the backplate to minimize chuck run out. Got all my mill bits in one rolling cabinet, and it's heavy, and made 1 tool for the mill ( something to hold my dial indicator for tramming the head ), and and going to make a pin wrench to adjust the preload on the spindle bearing. I also spot clean the mill here and there as I find time ( among my many other projects outside of hobby machining that I do ).

new motor installed20130304_182630.jpg

new motor running20130304_205532.jpg

cleaning up nameplates20130304_201258.jpg

20130307_181919.jpg

painting pulley cover20130316_224436.jpg

new motor running20130304_205532.jpg new motor installed20130304_182630.jpg cleaning up nameplates20130304_201258.jpg painting pulley cover20130316_224436.jpg 20130307_181919.jpg

very nice work:thumbsup: making that mill pretty! I'm doing some clean up on my 55 but I am limited to the amount of time to the tune of a couple few hours a week. :)angry:) I took the Delco, got it apart, refurbed all the wiring with heat shrink, bearings were good which leads me to believe they were changed out not TOO long ago. no burn or cook. Spins like a top. Maybe we will put it back in...:dunno: lol Going to work on the head some more this weekend, scrub all of it down, and bring her all together for the measurements. I am going to hold off on the new paint for right now, :)think1:) If I do "hot rod" it, Millie will get paint powder and chrome. I kind of need her for some projects tho. Time to pour aluminum TOO!

Nice work again:drink2: thank you for sharing!

Icore3user,

I use the small lever to lock the quill when milling and unlocked when drilling. It makes the quill lock in place. The 3 levers for the X-feed are used in combinations to control the speed of the table. Does yours have the little chart riveted on the machine to give you the correct combinations? If you don't I can take a picture of mine and post it. You only use two levers at a time and the third remains in a neutral position. The top and either the bottom front or the bottom back are used for speed control.

Campy

I could use that photo of the table feed gear box nameplate, can't see the holes where mine ever had one.

Nice mill! Keep the photos coming, I always enjoy old machines being brought back to service.

Mine was moved on a similar trailer. My new Super 55.

mill-2_zpsd018d3a7.jpg

Who did you use for moving the mill? I used Kraig from First Class Moving, he was cool guy. It cost me $400.00 to move it from West Hollywood to Westminster, and on a Saturday no less. The house was on a steep road, I wasn't to sure if he could even make it out of there through the narrow and steep street, but he did. Did your's have a plate for the levers on the table feed? Mine didn't and I have sort of figured out what does what. Though if you could post a photo of the plate I can print it out so I can finally figure out what speed I am running the table at.

- Al

Who did you use for moving the mill? I used Kraig from First Class Moving, he was cool guy. It cost me $400.00 to move it from West Hollywood to Westminster, and on a Saturday no less. The house was on a steep road, I wasn't to sure if he could even make it out of there through the narrow and steep street, but he did. Did your's have a plate for the levers on the table feed? Mine didn't and I have sort of figured out what does what. Though if you could post a photo of the plate I can print it out so I can finally figure out what speed I am running the table at.

- Al

My lathe and mill were transported from Hawthorne to Venice (~12 miles) by Tom Dunkel of Inland Machinery Movers at a cost of $625. It was amazing to see this man make such a heavy machine "dance" across the slab. When he showed up (on time), I asked where his helpers were--little did I know what a good man can do with just a few simple pieces of equipment: toe jack, pry bar, 2 "skate boards" and 2 short lengths of heavy pipe (and a wonderful trailer).

The only speed/rpm plate is the one on the cast iron door next to the main motor pulleys. A couple weeks after picking up the machines, the widow found the (reprinted) manual--what a great bonus! These are available from Wells-Index. Another item of interest is the Hoffman & Heart Distributors nameplate that is also on mine, though of a different vintage. Other photo shows how well the paint is cleaning up.

mill-20_zps86b48a49.jpg
mill-7_zpsd39d9b02.jpg
mill-19_zpsa7cca649.jpg

I cleaned up all the plates on my 55, interesting to note both came from same distributor, mine too was without the plate for table feed gear box, I managed to find a manual for 55 / super 55 / 645, though it has a parts break down, oddly enough it does not mention what combination of the gearbox produces what speed

reliance motor plate ul.jpg 20130316_224508Spindle plate.jpg 20130316_224419nameplate.jpg 20130316_224500motor connection plate.jpg index and plate sold20130307_181919.jpg

reliance motor plate ul.jpg 20130316_224508Spindle plate.jpg 20130316_224419nameplate.jpg 20130316_224500motor connection plate.jpg index and plate sold20130307_181919.jpg

Back