Just goy my Model 55

icore3user

Active User
Registered
Just got my Model 55

Finally. after losing out to mills on craigslist and eBay, since most of them were gone by the weekend. I happened to check the recycler for my area, not expecting to find any mill. It was my luck when I found one from an estate sale, where
there was a a garage full of tooling, including 2 lathes ( one Logan, one Colchester Dominion ( still for sale )) drill presses, bandsaws, welders etc.. I picked up the mill and related tooling ( 3 big plastic tubs full of it ) along with a huge vise that was on the table. It runs, though I need to replace some drive belts. It has a home made static converter for the 3 phase 1 hp motor. It has what I believe is B & S #9 spindle taper, though it also came a with a Z type collet adapter and the Z type collets in a set. I hired a local mover to move it for me as I did not want to try to move it from the house where it sat due to the long driveway and the street which was on a 5% or so slope. The machine feels pretty good in terms of play, though further inspection may reveal the scope of wear on the ways / screws. Over all it is in pretty clean condition for such an old mill.

before pcik up.jpghome made static converter.jpgIndex plate.jpgmoving down the drive way.jpgbefore lifting on to trailer.jpglifting on to trailer.jpgunloading to my driveway.jpgat home in my garage.jpg

before pcik up.jpg home made static converter.jpg Index plate.jpg moving down the drive way.jpg before lifting on to trailer.jpg lifting on to trailer.jpg unloading to my driveway.jpg at home in my garage.jpg

Last edited:
Nice little mill. Interesting how the head will tilt right or left, but not in or out.

I have its big sister Index 645 mill.

Nice little mill. Interesting how the head will tilt right or left, but not in or out.

I have its big sister Index 645 mill.

It looks to me like it just MIGHT rotate front to back. Look at how the quill is mounted in a "slab" that sits between two circular mechanisms (couldn't think of a good term for them).

Nice looking machine!

-Ron

nice pick up, and nice job with the rigging. The owner of Wells index is a really good guy. He started in sales, worked his way up still makes his machines in USA. give them a call they may have a manual. If i ever win the lottery my first purchase would be a brand new wells index with 40 taper spindle... sadly i never play the lottery.

Looks really nice. You will love it I sure do love my Model 55. It helps when you get lots of extra's with the mill. Having a vise with it really helps. Yours has the same collect set-up as mine. It is a solid well built mill and it works great. Campy Great pictures you posted.

Looks really nice. You will love it I sure do love my Model 55. It helps when you get lots of extra's with the mill. Having a vise with it really helps. Yours has the same collect set-up as mine. It is a solid well built mill and it works great. Campy Great pictures you posted.

Campy -

to the right of the quill, below the quill feed lever, is a small locking lever ( seen on the before the pick up photo ), what does it do? I have figured out pretty much most of the levers save for that one, and how to use the 3 levers that control the x feed on the back right of the mill. I have a copy of parts manual and the instructions, but not the operating manual.

- Icore3user

Icore3user,

I use the small lever to lock the quill when milling and unlocked when drilling. It makes the quill lock in place. The 3 levers for the X-feed are used in combinations to control the speed of the table. Does yours have the little chart riveted on the machine to give you the correct combinations? If you don't I can take a picture of mine and post it. You only use two levers at a time and the third remains in a neutral position. The top and either the bottom front or the bottom back are used for speed control.

Campy

Icore3user,

I use the small lever to lock the quill when milling and unlocked when drilling. It makes the quill lock in place. The 3 levers for the X-feed are used in combinations to control the speed of the table. Does yours have the little chart riveted on the machine to give you the correct combinations? If you don't I can take a picture of mine and post it. You only use two levers at a time and the third remains in a neutral position. The top and either the bottom front or the bottom back are used for speed control.

Campy

spindle in lock.jpg
Campy,

I finally powered up the machine after running conduit, pulling wires and adding 1 shop light over the mill and changing the cord cap to proper one to match the new outlet ( 250v 1 phase ), I tried the spindle lock, but I can still move the spindle if I pull down on the quill lever on the right. I am confused, the spindle does hold with the lock in the down position, yet it can be moved with the handle, should it be this way?

I also got the down feed running, but the x feed does not work, the belt is shot and possibly the motor. I will post pictures of the motor and the belt and probably pull the motor tomorrow, I think I found a place to have the motor rewound, it "sputters" a bit , it barely works in the foward and reverse. Since the X drive motor does not work, I did not try the levers to see how they work. I can manually rotate the pulley that controls the X feed. I have 2 Cutler Hammer rotary switches on the base side, the upper controls the main motor, and it 2 speeds, in both forward and reverse, the lower is the x feed control, forward and reverse. I am not sure if it 2 speed, until I get the motor fixed.

- Icore3user

spindle in lock.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Just got my Model 55

Update on the X feed motor, it's toast. I pulled it and took it apart, the coatings on the windings are burnt in some places and gone in others, the bearings are also gone. I see no value in having it rewound, unless a decent 3 phase 220 volt motor is really expensive.

- Icore3User

x feed motor pulled.jpgx feed motor bad windings.jpgx feed motor armature.jpgx feed motor drive belt.jpg

x feed motor pulled.jpg x feed motor bad windings.jpg x feed motor armature.jpg x feed motor drive belt.jpg

Re: Just got my Model 55

Update on the X feed motor, it's toast. I pulled it and took it apart, the coatings on the windings are burnt in some places and gone in others, the bearings are also gone. I see no value in having it rewound, unless a decent 3 phase 220 volt motor is really expensive.

- Icore3User

View attachment 48029View attachment 48030View attachment 48031View attachment 48032
If you are after OEM by chance, I have a delco 220/440 3ph out of my 55... trade for? I plan on going single phase for the power feeds when it goes back together.

- - - Updated - - -

NICE pics, nice score. I moved mine, there WERE some moments... Thank you for taking us along on your adventure!:thumbsup:

Back