Just got my first ever metal lathe

Having just cleaned and painted a lathe, I agree 100%. I was surprised at some of the places that were packed solid with chips and hardened oil. Every DRO installation I've seen and used had the scale on the back side of the bed.

Bearings: I have not owned or used a babbitt bearing lathe. What I have read about them from people that do is how nicely they cut if they're in good condition. Some of those comments have been here on Hobby-Machinist. The consensus was that they are extremely smooth and exhibit less chatter than some roller bearings. Maybe someone with first hand knowledge will comment. Maybe just buy the headstock and set it aside "just in case?"
That's probably what I'll do, but I'm going to have to remake the dro mounts... And figure out how to mount it to the rear...

Having just cleaned and painted a lathe, I agree 100%. I was surprised at some of the places that were packed solid with chips and hardened oil. Every DRO installation I've seen and used had the scale on the back side of the bed.

Bearings: I have not owned or used a babbitt bearing lathe. What I have read about them from people that do is how nicely they cut if they're in good condition. Some of those comments have been here on Hobby-Machinist. The consensus was that they are extremely smooth and exhibit less chatter than some roller bearings. Maybe someone with first hand knowledge will comment. Maybe just buy the headstock and set it aside "just in case?"
By the way I should clarify this is not a babbit bearing machine this headstock has plain sleeve bearings made out of bearing bronze. I believe some people call it oilite bearings.

Okay I'm I'm going to borrow an idea from another user on here. Now I've just got to find a suitable material

By the way I should clarify this is not a babbit bearing machine this headstock has plain sleeve bearings made out of bearing bronze. I believe some people call it oilite bearings.
That makes it a completely different story. I would go for tapered roller bearings over Oilite, too.

That makes it a completely different story. I would go for tapered roller bearings over Oilite, too.
first, there's nothing wrong with oilite or plain bearings. The more accurate lathes are plain bearing to avoid the ball cogging . If your fit is fine for the shaft to the bearings, just use it. Just keep it oiled, even with oilite you want to introduce spindle oil.

I would go for tapered roller bearings over Oilite, too.
I suspect finding tapered roller bearings that fit the headstock will be pretty difficult. A new set of Oilite bearings reamed to fit the shaft would last a long time if kept lubed.

The Oillite bearings in that lathe are perfect for the light use it is intended for. They allow for very smooth cuts and are both easily replaceable if worn and easy to find at your local NAPA.

Admitting I don't know anything about Oilite bearings other than replacing them in old Chevy starters!

While I think there are many uses for printed plastic parts, I don't think this is one of them. It is important to hold tight tolerances for the clearances between the read head and the scale. Contact between them is pretty undesirable! It looks like the top mounting slot & screws are a weak point for holding tolerances. I don't mean to rain on your parade but.....

Back