Just got my first ever metal lathe

I've really enjoyed this thread @Nubble :eagerness::)

Definitely keep us updated with your progress. :)

Okay so today I am in the process of installing the dro for the cross slide and the carriage which should hopefully help me get consistent results as I have a tendency to overshoot diameters...

Also I've got another idea that I want to do eventually I want to buy a slightly newer headstock so I can change it over to the tapered roller bearings, I don't know if that would be considered sacrilege but I would probably end up doing it as long as the spindle that I have in the gears fit in that casing but I do believe that they are the same
Screenshot_20240504_105517_eBay.jpg

Also I've got another idea that I want to do eventually I want to buy a slightly newer headstock so I can change it over to the tapered roller bearings, I don't know if that would be considered sacrilege but I would probably end up doing it as long as the spindle that I have in the gears fit in that casing but I do believe that they are the same
View attachment 488951
If your lathe is working fine with plain bearings I’m not sure that will gain you much. It might be better just saving for your next machine while you use this one to its fullest capability.

John

If your lathe is working fine with plain bearings I’m not sure that will gain you much. It might be better just saving for your next machine while you use this one to its fullest capability.

John
I mean for $40 plus bearings for the new headstock I don't think that would be too bad. Besides I plan on using this Lathe for many years to come so might as well upgrade it while I can.

Well I've got the first Dro rail installed now I'm just in the process of putting the carriage back together and then I'm going to install the cross slide dro.View attachment 488950
oh Nubble, that would be my least favored place for it. Anything on the underneath or front side is going to get lots of oil and chips. Overtime it will foul the reader. The back would be better, as less is thrown to the back. The chuck generally spins toward the front, unless you run in reverse. So lots of stuff thrown that way.

oh Nubble, that would be my least favored place for it. Anything on the underneath or front side is going to get lots of oil and chips. Overtime it will foul the reader. The back would be better, as less is thrown to the back. The chuck generally spins toward the front, unless you run in reverse. So lots of stuff thrown that way.
Well the guy who sent me the files for this told me that this shouldn't be an issue, but we will see.

Having just cleaned and painted a lathe, I agree 100%. I was surprised at some of the places that were packed solid with chips and hardened oil. Every DRO installation I've seen and used had the scale on the back side of the bed.

Bearings: I have not owned or used a babbitt bearing lathe. What I have read about them from people that do is how nicely they cut if they're in good condition. Some of those comments have been here on Hobby-Machinist. The consensus was that they are extremely smooth and exhibit less chatter than some roller bearings. Maybe someone with first hand knowledge will comment. Maybe just buy the headstock and set it aside "just in case?"

Back