Just finished my Turner's cube!

What an excellent project, thanks for sharing. Now I need to get a 4 jaw chuck for my new lathe, or a 3/4" square 5c collet.

Beautiful, where did u buy material?

I live in tampa bay, fl, about 15 minutes from a metals recycler. They hold everything resellable in a shipping container out back. Exclusively alum, stainless, and brass.

So basically, when I bought my lathe, I stopped by and grabbed about $50 in various stock, including the 6x3 round bar this started life as.

Hope that helps.

Mkay, so it's getting long about a year now, and I'm getting the itch to make another one. But this time, I'm thinking really crazy. Hear me out. What do you all think about doing a nested cube, with an aluminum core, surrounded by a light brass interior, then a red brass exterior, and then a copper exterior? I'm debating doing that same thing in reverse. Not sure yet. It would look like a red to white graduation, in sequence with the normal turner's cube interior steps.

To do it, I'd basically square up the core in the mill (1.25 stock down to 1.000), and then take some flat bar stock and square it up (3/8 stock down to 5/16), chamfer the edge, and weld it around the core. Square it again. Repeat. Repeat. Stress relieve, and turn it. I'm vaguely certain that my Miller Syncrowave 250 is going to giggle at welding 5/16 thick aluminum and copper. As far as filler rod, I've seen copper done with like material filler, or even romex. The only welds that have to be good are the outermost ones, the interior ones will never be visible. With the 1" core and 6 thicknesses of 5/16 (3 on each face), that would come to about a 3" cube, well within the limits of my little 7x14 lathe. MAY even go a bit larger, up to 4".

Before I go seriously down this road, I would do a little prototype, with just aluminum cube wrapped in aluminum plate.

It could possibly the most effort I've ever put into something so useless, but hey, I would be the only one in the possession of one. What do you all think, aside from it being pointless and stupid? That much I'm already clear on.

Back