Just finished my Turner's cube!

Ngray

Active User
Registered
This was my first 'real' lathe project, and it was just a tremendous learning experience.
  • The 123D file is here: http://www.123dapp.com/123D-3D-Model/Turners-Cube/1247843
  • It basically follows a profile of a 5/16-ish hole through the middle, then measure in a .150, shoulder, drop in a .240 for the first recess, then in for the second .200 shoulder, then drop down .180 for the second recess, then in .170 on the third shoulder, then finally .150 for the final recess and shoulder.
  • Sharp tools are so key for getting a good finish! I didn't touch my carbide to the grinder, I still have to learn if/how to do that, but my HSS is night and day when sharp. I learned so much about listening and feeling the chatter doing this. With that said, my next project has to be something to lock down the saddle to the bed, or I'm going to throw this 7x14 at a wall. The way the tool currently 'pulls into' the work is so frustrating.
  • I see that me and my magnetic base indicator are going to be really close friends. I had NO idea I would use it so much to setup work, and I feel like half the effort was setting up work correctly.
  • Starting out with bar stock, and squaring it on the lathe (no mill yet) took forever. Forever. Oh God, can't wait for the mill and fly cutter to get here next week.
  • I killed a cheapo digital caliper that I was using for reloading. Time to hit up ebay for a Starret/BS/Mitu, or Enco or Shars for a 'mid-grade' caliper. Sigh. Mercifully all my other equipment survived the exercise.
  • I am so happy with how it came out. I really need to think through work-holding better, because (as you may see) subsequent clamping really can mar the surface. Now a little about that, I did this in my 5" 4-jaw chuck, and used 4 square pieces of 1/8 Steel to distribute the clamping torque. In between the steel and the work, I had one small thickness of shop towel which I (wrongly) thought would prevent surface marring. Wrongo. Anyway, it gives the piece 'character' :).
  • I have (easily) 30 hours in this. I'm hoping my future efforts go more quickly, or I'm going to accelerate the CNC games. Which (obviously) will make all time and effort go away :).
  • Hope you like it, I sure do!

IMG_8560.JPGIMG_8563.JPGIMG_8565.JPG

IMG_8560.JPG IMG_8563.JPG IMG_8565.JPG

Great looking project, but I don't understand why squaring the stock took so long. I look at it as a simple facing exercise in the 4-jaw, do not even indicate. Maybe I'm doing it wrong.

Bill

Great looking project, but I don't understand why squaring the stock took so long. I look at it as a simple facing exercise in the 4-jaw, do not even indicate. Maybe I'm doing it wrong.

Bill

Mostly inexperience I'm sure. I have little time under my belt with mini mills, but I've never turned rod stock into a cube. That, and only being able to take .017 max cuts without chatter, using a sharp tool.

Hi Orange...

These are surprisingly tricky. Most lathe operations are just a few passes of removing stock and coming in for the kill on the final pass.

A cube like this has dozens of cuts and all of them must be well calculated. Also, it requires a lot of re-chucking and getting symmetry is hard because most jaws aren't square and it takes a lot of face-time setup. For a newcomer, that's tricky and this guy did a nice job. You can do these on a mill too -and it's how you find-out real quick the difference between good vises and junk as well as how well trammed things are.

I've always wanted to make one of these myself and see if I can get everything to mic-out within half thou. It wouldn't be easy...

Ray

Bill

I made a couple of those on my mill. Different sizes. Smallest was 3/4" cubes made into earrings for my daughter.

I want to try one where the nested cubes actually separate from each other yet remain captive within each other.

I did a jack in a cube one where the jack is loose yet won't fall out of the cube. You have to make various plugs as you go to keep everything together and not destroying itself.

There are some slick 'cube' pictures floating around on the Internet but scant info on how to even approach making them.

Here is a link to some info on how to set up and make a few cubes.
http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCTurnersCube.html

Last edited:
Beautiful work! I never considered modern sculpture to be my thing, but I need to make one of those! I'm sure I'll learn a lot in the process.

Thanks for the pictures,
Michael

Nice job.

I myself made a less complicated (only one cube inside) on my lathe.
Great experiance to see the result.

Back