Just acquired K&T #3 vertical

rabler

Addlepated tinkerer
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I just acquired this machine last week, a 1944 K&T #3 vertical. Weighs about 9000lbs according to vintagemachinery.org's documents. Rented a 12k boom forklift to unload for this coming Monday to unload it. It is currently still sitting on the trailer inside the shop. 7.5HP motor, power feed in all directions for the table, as well as the head.

In addition to unloading it, I'm working to acquire nmtb 50 tooling for it, as it didn't come with anything. I'm sure I'll eventually do some work on fixing it up, but it is in usable condition, actually very good condition given it's age. I'll update this thread as I go with this machine.

IMG_3580.jpg

It Has been awhile since I have seen a vertical most of what is left around are horizontal.
Great machine ,Enjoy

I might have some cutters you would be interested in......
Problem with these machines is limited spindle speed and feed rates for modern tooling but find some of the old cutters and these babies shine!

I might have some cutters you would be interested in......
Problem with these machines is limited spindle speed and feed rates for modern tooling but find some of the old cutters and these babies shine!
This one tops out at 1500rpm. I've ordered a used kennametal 6" face mill on ebay with a corresponding holder, and inserts, so it'll turn that fast enough. Of course my comparison is my Grizzly mill, which tops out at 2000rpm, not a whole lot faster. But I've tried a 1" rougher in the R8 Grizzly spindle. RPM aside, it's just not up to it, not enough rigidity. I'm hoping for a different experience on the K&T. Ultimately I'm not in production so hitting the ideal speed and feed is a matter of can I get a good finish. Good enough anyway. Lack of rigidity on a smaller machine is going to ruin that no matter what S/F I use.

Please message me if you're serious about those cutters.

Last edited:
Nice score. You can get some big chips a flying with that.

Rigidity will NOT be one of your issues, and I doubt 1500 rpm will cause you many issues either. I was fortunate to get a nice assortment of 50 series tooling with my big Gorton Mill. Keep an eye on e-bay and the auction sites. Great score, maybe some pics of the head when you get a chance. Cheers Mike

I received one nmtb holder from ebay, a sandvik. Not surprisingly it came with a few minor dings in the taper. I was originally think of stoning them out, but on further thought lapping may be a better approach. I’m sure I’ll run into this on other used nmtb holders. I was thinking of turning a matching female taper into a piece of 6061 aluminum as a lapping tool. Thoughts? Has anyone tried anything similar?

Rigidity will NOT be one of your issues, and I doubt 1500 rpm will cause you many issues either. I was fortunate to get a nice assortment of 50 series tooling with my big Gorton Mill. Keep an eye on e-bay and the auction sites. Great score, maybe some pics of the head when you get a chance. Cheers Mike
Mike,
I'll get some pictures after I get it unloaded. Sunbelt is suppose to deliver a 12,000 lb capacity boom forklift tomorrow. Hideously expensive for what will probably be 15 minutes work. I have a gantry crane I built to unload the Monarch 12, but it won't work for this. The top of the mill is sitting almost exactly at 10' tall (I actually had to swap out the 4x4's the mill was sitting on for 2x4's to get it under the 10' high garage door). The gantry crane only goes up to 10' high, that's not tall enough to get a hoist in there to lift the mill up. I'd rather do this with some degree of safety than get carried away trying to jury rig something up.

Sunbelt is suppose to deliver a 12,000 lb capacity boom forklift tomorrow. Hideously expensive for what will probably be 15 minutes work.
I know your pain. I rented their large off road fork lift to move my big lathe, shaper, and vertical mill out of my old shop and onto a low boy trailer. Cost me 800 dollars. Ouch.

Stone the blemishes out. It is a pretty common occurrence.
All you are trying to do is remove the high spots.
People have used 2 inch air grinders to sand off the high spots, finish with a stone.

Back