Just a quick heads up for people in the UK, looking for decent quality tooling

Well, the spindle bore on the ML7 and standard Super 7 is 19/32", about 15mm. There is the Super 7B which has a 1 1/2" bore but those seem to be uncommon and even more expensive.
TBH, had I the room, I would look at acquiring either a Myford or a Boxford. That being said, I don't have the room so it is a bit of a moot point for the moment. Heck, I don't even have room for two 7x lathes, but two I have.

A good personal friend has a Boxford and guess who has been asked to go over that and set it up when he brings it south from his parents place to his own place? yup, yours truly! I have been promised unlimited use of it if/when I ever need use of a more capable lathe, so that trade is fine by me and suits us both as he can be taught a few basic things at the same time.

I have purchased from RDG (via eBay): no one else had a MT1 female x 3/4” straight shank arbor (wanted to be able to use some Sherline tooling in my Mini-Mill). I dig get two since shipping was the same as for one (and more than the arbors).

I have been very happy with the items purchased from Accusize (check out my YT videos on fitting their 5” 3-Jaw to my Mini-Lathe and you’ll see an example of their quality).
Good video.

I wouldn't mind having a VAT, as long as it would reduce other taxes appropriately. In Pennsylvania, we have Sales tax (6% for most of the Commonwealth, plus something more if you live/purchase in Philadelphia or Pittsburgh) that is applied to most items except food (with the exception of luxury items) prescriptions/medical-related expense and some services. Other series (like shipping costs) pay the 6% as a "Use Tax."

I used to refer to "handling fees" as bribes (also called "expediting fees").
In Texas we have a 8.25% sales tax on everything but essentials and our property taxes to fund local Schools and gubberment and that is it.... NO Income tax...

In Texas we have a 8.25% sales tax on everything but essentials and our property taxes to fund local Schools and gubberment and that is it.... NO Income tax...
Oh we have Income TAX, (also known as P.A.Y.E TAX), Value Added TAX, Property TAX (Known as "Stamp duty Land TAX"), Annual Vehicle Excise Duty (TAX based on vehicle engine size), Inheritance TAX, Council TAX, Low Emissions Zone TAX (Tax for using a vehicle in central london that emits emissions over a certain level), Ultra Low Emissions Zone (same as LEZ but stricter), Congestion Charge TAX (for driving in Central London) and more besides including TAX on top of TAX when importing

The usual phrase bandied about over here is "TAXed up the effin Yin-Yang and they'll probably try to TAX you for breathing or breeding soon".

TBH, had I the room, I would look at acquiring either a Myford or a Boxford. That being said, I don't have the room so it is a bit of a moot point for the moment. Heck, I don't even have room for two 7x lathes, but two I have.

A good personal friend has a Boxford and guess who has been asked to go over that and set it up when he brings it south from his parents place to his own place? yup, yours truly! I have been promised unlimited use of it if/when I ever need use of a more capable lathe, so that trade is fine by me and suits us both as he can be taught a few basic things at the same time.
I love the aesthetics of the ML7/Super 7 and if I'd done a bit more research, I'd probably have one instead of the 7x14 I have. Either that or maybe a Boxford A.

Next substantial purchase will either be one of those two lathes or a small mill.

That choice depends on how quickly I hit the limits of my milling attachment (which I've only played with for half an hour or so on aluminum, so far). I suspect the milling attachment will make me develop some creativity in workholding at least.

Oh we have Income TAX, (also known as P.A.Y.E TAX), Value Added TAX, Property TAX (Known as "Stamp duty Land TAX"), Annual Vehicle Excise Duty (TAX based on vehicle engine size), Inheritance TAX, Council TAX, Low Emissions Zone TAX (Tax for using a vehicle in central london that emits emissions over a certain level), Ultra Low Emissions Zone (same as LEZ but stricter), Congestion Charge TAX (for driving in Central London) and more besides including TAX on top of TAX when importing

The usual phrase bandied about over here is "TAXed up the effin Yin-Yang and they'll probably try to TAX you for breathing or breeding soon".
Don't forget the TV license.

Back