Just a quick heads up for people in the UK, looking for decent quality tooling

SouthernChap

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Turns out you can get Accusize products in the UK, albeit from Amazon.com via Amazon.co.uk.

Of course, those of us in the UK are going to be paying extra, due to VAT and import duties etc. but Amazon handle all of that at least. Again, the Amazon handling of that will be adding to the cost too. Convenience is never free. :grin:

Here's the link to their Amazon 'Store' page: https://www.amazon.co.uk/stores/Acc...age/page/619B3001-4E5B-44FF-97B8-37620FABA2E7

I mean RDG Tools and Chronos are solid suppliers and ArcEuroTrade and Amadeal are fine too, but a lot of what they sell, tooling wise, does look like it came pretty much straight off a storage rack in Shenzhen.

Okay, Chinese tooling doesn't necessarily carry the mark of Cain like it used to, provided the importer has decent quality standards and a good relationship with their suppliers. I have had some really tidy stuff from the above companies.

But given Accusize's generally great rep, it will be nice to be able to choose spend a bit extra and have a bit more confidence in the quality of what's going to turn up. ;)

Thanks for the heads up!

I knew from the Get-Go about Arc and Ad A Meal tooling, not to mention RDG being "direct" from supply. You can just tell. That does not bother me though, the huge markups companies add does. It appears it is often way above any reasonable limit even when considering import/stocking and supplying costs.

I recently imported a set of 11 knurl wheel pairs only to find they are identical to items being sold by one supplier for three times what I paid direct and without any import duty either.

I mean RDG Tools and Chronos are solid suppliers and ArcEuroTrade and Amadeal are fine too, but a lot of what they sell, tooling wise, does look like it came pretty much straight off a storage rack in Shenzhen.
I have purchased from RDG (via eBay): no one else had a MT1 female x 3/4” straight shank arbor (wanted to be able to use some Sherline tooling in my Mini-Mill). I dig get two since shipping was the same as for one (and more than the arbors).

But given Accusize's generally great rep, it will be nice to be able to choose spend a bit extra and have a bit more confidence in the quality of what's going to turn up. ;)

I have been very happy with the items purchased from Accusize (check out my YT videos on fitting their 5” 3-Jaw to my Mini-Lathe and you’ll see an example of their quality).

I have been very happy with the items purchased from Accusize (check out my YT videos on fitting their 5” 3-Jaw to my Mini-Lathe and you’ll see an example of their quality).
I've enjoyed those videos. Made me want to fit a 5" chuck to my 7x14. ;)

Thanks, I've been getting some favorable feedback.

And now you can get the Accusize and try it yourself!

All you need now is the myford large throat steady and modify the foot to suit the 7x. Very simple little project for a very versatile fixed steady!

All you need now is the myford large throat steady and modify the foot to suit the 7x. Very simple little project for a very versatile fixed steady!
While having four centering "screws" would be nice, the prospect of having something 5"Ø long enough to require a steady spinning around in a 7x16 is somewhat terrifying.

I'm happy with the 2"Ø the modified fingers in my 7x Steady give me:
7x Steady w Modified Fingers.jpeg
Standard 1" – 2" 7x Steady with longer fingers to give ~1/4" – 2" capacity (adjusting screws removed for storage).

While having four centering "screws" would be nice, the prospect of having something 5"Ø long enough to require a steady spinning around in a 7x16 is somewhat terrifying.

View attachment 478481
Standard 1" – 2" 7x Steady with longer fingers to give ~1/4" – 2" capacity (adjusting screws removed for storage).

I understand that, but to be fair, I have been turning 2" stock so needed a decent steady and the sieg ones, despite owning them, are an absolute PITA joke to use.

The myford steady is fantastic for stock down to a certain diameter (I think around 10mm without measuring, possibly less), plus, it is a "split" steady meaning it is hinged in the middle so you can literally open the top, undo the chuck and lift the stock out without having to feed it through the steady.

Besides, the "fingers" of the myford steady lend themselves very easily to being modified to carry a roller or a bearing in a fork if you dont mind a little work to do it.

For reference, this is the steady I am referring to...

s-l1600.jpg

And the myford steady I have (with modified foot) fitted to the lathe when I temporarily had it sat in my kitchen (since moved) when I took a photo as the proof someone asked for that the myford steady could be modified to fit..

427975441_1108257606840084_8415138434369327173_n.jpg

As the saying goes, "To each their own". I just prefer the myford steady for ease of use and capability.

View attachment 478481
I like it!

As far as having something come out of the chuck, I've found it to be quite boring the few times it has happened.

The time it was exciting was when an apprentice couldn't wrap his head around Hardenge's twist lock for their tapered spindle mount. It has an angled/tapered Y shaped slot and a set screw/pin that lets the 5" chuck mount like a bayonet mount, only there is nothing to tighten. Present it to the spindle and twist.

He attached the chuck the wrong way and it came off at roughly 1500rpm and had its way with everything in the shop it could. I was sure he was getting fired that day.

As to the VAT you guys across the pond have to pay, OOF!

I understand that, but to be fair, I have been turning 2" stock so needed a decent steady and the sieg ones, despite owning them, are an absolute PITA joke to use.

The myford steady is fantastic for stock down to a certain diameter (I think around 10mm without measuring, possibly less), plus, it is a "split" steady meaning it is hinged in the middle so you can literally open the top, undo the chuck and lift the stock out without having to feed it through the steady.

Besides, the "fingers" of the myford steady lend themselves very easily to being modified to carry a roller or a bearing in a fork if you dont mind a little work to do it.

For reference, this is the steady I am referring to...

View attachment 478482

And the myford steady I have (with modified foot) fitted to the lathe when I temporarily had it sat in my kitchen (since moved) when I took a photo as the proof someone asked for that the myford steady could be modified to fit..

View attachment 478483

As the saying goes, "To each their own". I just prefer the myford steady for ease of use and capability.
Yes, I saw the Hemingway version. I agree that being able to swing the steady open is a plus, and maybe I'll invest in this style in the future if I find I'm using one more often (just twice in 5 years, so far). Thanks!!

Back