Jim's truly simple ball turning tool

Lol!

There are four pages!
On the first page, my only page, it said 1/3.
I then went back and found your link to the four page document and was able to print the complete file.
This would have saved me some time!!
Chasing my tail is a pastime of mine :)

X Z Kellering and file is easy
Cool.

This is the first time I’ve heard of Kellering. Apparently it’s also called tracing.

It sounds similar to following a 3D form on a pantograph engraver.

What kinds of things have you made with the process? Can you describe it in more detail? I’m quite curious.

Cool.

This is the first time I’ve heard of Kellering. Apparently it’s also called tracing.

It sounds similar to following a 3D form on a pantograph engraver.

What kinds of things have you made with the process? Can you describe it in more detail? I’m quite curious.
Kind of a term use many ways. Before cnc it was tracers and panographs ( GK 21 Deckel ) I used to run for mold cavities / engraving. Term not used much today because it's step milling and profiling 3D.
When roughing out profiles on large parts ( CNC ) we Keller with a flat endmill or small radius to save time. Then a Ball endmill to finish, but not always. Here's a video that might help.

I've just posted the first two parts of my build series for beginners on my blog.

I've also made several updates to the 3D model and dimensioned drawings. The last page of the latter will be particularly helpful to anyone attempting to build one of these.

I'll update the top post with these links as well.

Please let me know if you do end up building one of these! It's a useful tool and quite fun and satisfying to use.

Rex,
Maybe I missed it.
How are you locking the T body into the T-slot?
I’m thinking a simple 1/2” thick top strap bolted into the center of the T body.
So far so good. Working on the one piece T block now.
I have a 5 degree back rake on the carbide.
Jeff
This is my design and I have been using it for years . I have no problem with finish. And if you make the tool like i do you don’t NEED any relief. But if you want Kennametal and others make a 1/4 inch round carbide insert that is shaped like a ice cream cone that works perfect for the turner.

i don’t know why but everybody wants to make my design BETTER .
One other thing most people cann’t seem to get in their head is the same SIMPLE
tool does is two functions it cuts balls and it also cuts a radius into the od of a bar.
Another thing my tool can easily be made without a mill. It can be made on a lathe with ease and you can control ball or radius size to a couple thousands
true size. Making a 1 1/2 ball is simple if you need that size.
A simple puck can be made for many different sizes very guickly with ease.
I know Rex has seen my tool working for a ball shape or a radius cut into a bar
od . And Jeff you know and have seen some of my tools work.
And before you start making a ball turner give me a call
and I will be happy to explain more about tool.
you can also google Jimsehr ball turner to watch it work.

Back