Jet Lathe Help

Thanks for all of the feedback guys. I see what part you are talking about now. I was worried about the bolts being out of the cover plate as well. Also I have never seen this machine in person just these pics he sent me.

Sent from my LG-D959 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I would not go more the $150, and that is after verifying the gears, and chuck parts are with it. The disassembled cross slide, is a big red flag. Why? its not a normal thing to take apart. Looks like they used a sledge hammer on it. Keep looking, you can do better.

I would bet something like a forklift ran into it. I can only imagine the forces that went through that cross slide, when the handle and screw got pulled out.

I would bet something like a forklift ran into it. ...snip...t.

Yeah, I'm working on a apron to a 15" Sheldon lathe that was run into by a fork lift. Hand wheels busted up, a bent shaft, lever busted off. Luckily, the castings were not damaged.

IMG_6718.jpg

Tell him to get it put back together, running and complete and you will give him $600.00.
Basket cases are for people with a pile of spare parts and the experience to deal with them.
As it sits now, it is scrap metal. It clearly can not run as is.

Yup, definitely a project. Be polite and courteous to the fellow, and consider a very low offer. That machine shows very poorly (for good reason). I have picked up several machines that looked really bad, but turned out very well.

- a large geared head, auto feed drill press. It had a "bent spindle" and was pretty rusty (really cheap). It was stored outside, laying on its' side on a pallet in the bone yard. Turns out the chuck arbor was bent (it is very difficult to bend a spindle and the machine still be in one piece), the rust cleaned up, fixed a number of minor items and then traded it for "future considerations".

- 2 bench grinders out of the dumpster (a 6" Baldor with a bad switch, and a 10" King that was missing the LH nut) - both now work well.

- a small heavy duty lathe, it wasn't real cheap, but was a category of machine that I had been looking for for several years (like an old Cadillac - could be junk, or a really nice vehicle. Something that starts as a low end vehicle will never be a Cadillac). The cross slide drive assembly had been broken off (apparently the back end of the cross slide got hit when it was moved out for the auction). Being broken, was a pain, but obviously that made it cheaper. Played around for about a year - now works great.

- a Cincinnati knee mill, no tooling, handles missing or bent, really dirty, no option to check operation (not super cheap, but a fair price for a poor looking machine that could not be tested). However, this Cinci had the larger table, 3 axis power feeds, VS drive - all the core features I was looking for. Again, a year to clean it up, slowly acquiring tooling - and now it is a nice machine.

Of course, I'm just sharing my "good news" stories. It has not always gone that way. However, when you pay nearly nothing, your exposure is very low.

Another consideration (as others have pointed out above) is that all of the machines I described above are complimentary to machines I already had. I already had a drill, grinders, lathe & mill - to fix the projects (truth be told that is what my hobby is, I rarely actually make something that leaves the shop). I have also been in this game for 30+ years (all as a hobby guy), so I'm comfortable taking a chance on a machine. I almost never purchase replacement parts (just bearings or bolts - usually I make the replacement parts).

Take a chance. Make a low offer. Be prepared to lose your money on it. Lots of good advise above. You have to assess your competency and whether you want to take on a machine project (it would be a great learning experience). You may be able to straighten the cross slide screw (I have straightened all sorts of things that "could not be straightened") - at least well enough to use the lathe to make a new screw? Of course, depending on it you value your time and the learning opportunity - purchasing a replacement may be the way to go.

Let us know what you decide to do.

DSC06015.JPG View attachment 119015 View attachment 119016 DSC02324.JPG DSC02325.JPG DSCF4266.JPG DSC02323.JPG DSC02320.JPG View attachment 119014

Goof'd up the pictures. ?? Appologies - tried to edit them, no luck.

Last edited:
I see most of the parts there to get it going again.
I would really wonder how the cross slide lead screw got banana shaped.
For a comparison, I gave $250 for a 9X20 with no bench, tooling, 4-jaw, f/p, rests, or tailstock.
That was 4 years ago.

Sent from somewhere in East Texas Jake Parker

I really appreciate all of the great information guys. I may try to make the buy for real cheap but the guy has an emotional attachment that may make this an impossible buy.

Sent from my LG-D959 using Tapatalk

If I had to guess I think it got lifted by the cross slide handle with some thing like an engine hoist and it didn't go so well, hence snapped cross feed and bent screw. (only a guess).

Ken makes a good point, it's always easier to repair a lathe when you have another lathe(or mill) already.

Stuart.

Back