Jet GHB 1340A

marwynne

Registered
Registered
13 x 40 Jet with 8 speeds. I have a little experience with a HB 9x20.

I am looking to replace HB with a used Jet GHB1340A. Any one have any comments . The lathe looks new. I don't want to rebuild.

Appreciate your comments

Marwynne:rofl:

A very nice step up! What is it's history? Lightly used or been squeezed of all life in a job shop? Can you get your hands on it, to look it over while under power?

Have you read this? http://www.mermac.com/advicenew.html

Pierre

I read the article you sent.

The machine looks brand new.

I understand he bought the machine and used it very little. What would a machine like this be worth ?
It is more machine than I need, but for a good price.

00r0r_19OdrtPy5ug_600x450.jpg00Y0Y_ewTYaLM8PMo_600x450.jpg00d0d_1IhRUHyKrin_600x450.jpg

00r0r_19OdrtPy5ug_600x450.jpg 00Y0Y_ewTYaLM8PMo_50x50c.jpg 00Y0Y_ewTYaLM8PMo_600x450.jpg 00d0d_1IhRUHyKrin_600x450.jpg

Looks minty to me! I have a used clone of the Jet BDB 1340 version. We also have a Jet BDB-1340A at work. Nice unit for the money. I paid 1500 for mine vs 4000 for the Jet at the shop. The company bought the Jet new.
Hard to put a price as I am not in your area. Up here in the rust belt there are lots of lathes available. On most streets there is at least one lathe/mill per block. I would check your local seller listing and completed sales listings for a better idea. Perhaps Tony or some other members from your area might step in with their ideas.
Pierre

I have to travel 300 miles to se it. I sure appreciate your thoughts.

marwynne:))

That machine looks practically unused... It's your basic Asian 1340 frame and about 3-4 other companies sell the same thing. Jet usually makes decent stuff. I can't tell from the picture if it's Chinese or Taiwanese. What's the story on it?

If the price is in your range, I'd say go for it.

Ray

The man bought it and never used it much. He thought he would have time to do things with it and never found the time. He lives in the county a pretty good way from anyone. Not much market for equipment except for farm stuff in the area that he lives. If he would come down some, it would make it worth while me going to get it.

Marwynne

The machine is fundamentally new and if he's selling it with all the original items (chucks etc) that makes it easier to determine value....

There are a couple similar models from Jet that look the same but have different gear ratios. I suspect the cheaper one is made in China and the other is made in Taiwan. One machine sells for 5 grand and the other version sells for 7 grand new these days.

You need to make sure you're comparing apples to apples. The higher-end model has speeds up to 2000 RPM and the other only up to 1200. But be warned, the differences may have changed slighly over the years.

Ray

Thanks for all the help guys. His son wants the machine. This came from out of no where.

Marwynne

Well it did set a bit of excitement. I see that it is a 2000 rpm version. Not that it matters now.
Pierre

Back