Jet 16 drill/mill

so here are some before pics. If you look on the left side of the photo with the motor you will see the two ground fixture plates wrapped in brown paper thet have drilled and tapped holes for 1/4-20 for mounting fixtures or whatever.
003.JPG004.JPG005.JPG006.JPG007.JPG

003.JPG 004.JPG 005.JPG 006.JPG 007.JPG

Looks like you made a haul! I'd say it's been used, but not abused. Smaller table than mine, and a slightly different base on the column. If you go to Grizzly.com, mine looks a lot like the G1006 while yours looks more like a G1005. Looks like lots of odds and ends to go though, but in general it looks like it should not take much to get it in operation. I notice that the specs on Grizzly's G1005 say that it has 3-5/8" of spindle travel and a 1otor. How does that compare to the Jet?

Dan

not sure on the spindle, I think the other question was about the motor it is 1/2 hp. it was altogether and running nice and smooth. I took it apart to get it out of the basement it was in. yes the older drill/mills had smaller base. I think he said this machine was from the early 80's

Looks like you made a haul! I'd say it's been used, but not abused. Smaller table than mine, and a slightly different base on the column. If you go to Grizzly.com, mine looks a lot like the G1006 while yours looks more like a G1005. Looks like lots of odds and ends to go though, but in general it looks like it should not take much to get it in operation. I notice that the specs on Grizzly's G1005 say that it has 3-5/8" of spindle travel and a 1otor. How does that compare to the Jet?

Dan

Mine is from that same time period (wish it looked as good as yours!), so I think this is just a different smaller version than what I have. If you look at the photos on Grizzly's site you can see some of the differences between the two. They tell me that mine is an RF30 style machine. I suspect that yours might be more like an RF25, but others on here could probably tell you more - I'm just looking at photos that I've found on line.

Yours is probably newer than mine also. Mine is dark machinery grey. I am still trying to determine what power feed will work. I agree you made a haul on the attachments.
Dan Coleman

so here are some before pics. If you look on the left side of the photo with the motor you will see the two ground fixture plates wrapped in brown paper thet have drilled and tapped holes for 1/4-20 for mounting fixtures or whatever.
View attachment 61486View attachment 61487View attachment 61488View attachment 61489View attachment 61490

View attachment 61486 View attachment 61487 View attachment 61488 View attachment 61489 View attachment 61490

I have a Jet 16 that I just got a few months ago, but haven't used very much. It needs spindle bearings and I can't figure out how to get the thing apart. Could you give me a bit of advice?

I have a Jet 16 that I just got a few months ago, but haven't used very much. It needs spindle bearings and I can't figure out how to get the thing apart. Could you give me a bit of advice?

I did this job on an RF-31 that I think is similar, if not identical, to the Jet 16. You can see a few threads below:
Hope this helps.

Just took a 16 all apart myself. Pretty straight forward. The only thing that might give you problems is removing the spindle pulley. Once I realized that it was a tapered mount I got it broke loose without any damage. Mine had to be disassembled because the p.o. put a real bad john deere green paint job on it. It'll look more respectable in smoke gray.20170125_190059.jpg

Just took a 16 all apart myself. Pretty straight forward. The only thing that might give you problems is removing the spindle pulley. Once I realized that it was a tapered mount I got it broke loose without any damage. Mine had to be disassembled because the p.o. put a real bad john deere green paint job on it. It'll look more respectable in smoke gray.View attachment 231395

CK, I can't even figure out how to get to the spindle and bearings. I got the pulley off with no problem, (pry bar with little taps and it popped loose fairly easy,) but from there it was "duh." I'm embarrassed to admit that I only have an idea of what a tapered mount is. Once I have the pulley off, what do I do? I spent my life as a suit and have little mechanical ability. Your post was the most encouraging thing I've had in my life recently so I am really thankful for your help.
Thanks,
Don

If you want to change the spindle bearings, you need to drop the spindle out the bottom. Lock the quill. Remove the depth stop on the front of the head. Once you have it removed hold the quill handle and unlock the quill. Hold onto the bottom of the spindle and lower quill until the rack clears the gear and the spindle is free to drop out the bottom. I actually had the quill spring removed on mine before I pulled the spindle out but I don't think that would be necessary. I didn't remove the spindle bearings but I did notice that the nuts on top are left hand thread. My bearings seem fine, I plan on making sure they're adjusted correctly when I reassemble it. Seems like someone posted links in a previous post that might have info on replacing spindle bearings.

Back