Jet 16 drill/mill

markknx

Active User
Registered
Any one here familiar with this machine? I found one for what I think is a fair price if it is still there. I'm hoping to get just a little more power than my LMS Hi torque. Looking for pros Cons, or just thoughts. Most of what I do I can do fine on the mill I have It just takes a little longer.

Thanks in advance for any input,
Mark

The fact that you refer to it as a Mill / Drill and the pictures that I found on line in a search tell me that this is a typical round column Mill / Drill similar to the RF30. That being said, what condition is it in? Has it been used a lot or has it sat in a corner? The biggest thing to keep in mind is the fact that the head can rotate out of position during a heavy cut, if you don't have it cranked down tight, and the only vertical travel you have during a set up is the quill travel, which may be from around 3 1/2 to 6 inches. If you have to move the head up or down during a set up, you would have to indicate it back into alignment when you lock it back down, and that could be a little tough. I bought one at an auction and have played with it a little and will probably see if I can sell it some day in hopes of getting a larger square column on knee mill. You also need to check to see if it uses R8 or MT taper collets. A new Grizzly of that style runs about $1400. I am a novice, so you might want to look around at the forum for anything on the RF30 - it will most likely apply to the Jet 16 as well, at least in general. I can say that with the belt drive and a 2 HP motor, it won't lack for power. Does it come with a stand or any "extras" like collets or a vise? It will most likely have 5/8 Tee slots, so you may not have hold downs or bolts suitable to mount you vice from a smaller machine, so those might be things to consider as well, if they aren't included, since they would run the cost up, if you don't already have something you can use. Just my two cents worth... You might also post this in the Jet, Enco and Rong Fu forum......

I have this same model, It is the same as the round column RF-30. I have been using mine regularly for about 5 years and I was suprised at the milling capabilities of it. I added a Chinese DRO as the dials on the handwheels are not adjustable to position. Mine is a belt drive and 2hp a/c motor, more than enough power for it. I don't like the round column because when you need to raise or lower the head (which is often) you loose position accuracy. I also would like to add some type of spindle brake.

Reactions: Guv
Thanks guys! yes the power sounds like it will be there. Not sure I like the idea of the column being round. if it has 6" of spindle I can work around it, but three will be to close. I did n't post pics because I do not have any. It is a R8 modle or I wouldn't even look ar it. Not saying anything bad about MT2 just I am tooled at R8. it has a home made stand and some fixture plates. Tee nuts I can make. I will post in jet enco forum. Bythe way I think I can get it for 600.00. If it is not in good shape I will walk away.

Thanks again guys.
Mark

I have made a few chips with mine, but still need to make some Tee nuts to adapt my smaller vise from G0704 Grizzly to mine - I just had it jury rigged to see how it was going to work. The X and Y dials on mine are settable, but not the Z - I am installing one of the little Igaging DRO's on the quill right now to fix that. By the way, I have about $300 in mine - it came with nothing but the factory stand and a lot of surface rust and mud wasp nests. I'd sure try to get it for less that $600 unless it is really nice shape.

no surface rust. It came with 2 angle vices a collet holding fixture a lathe dog, some end mills and holders. Two ground fixture mounting plates. a 2" face mill still with rubber on the cutting edges. the manual. some gun smithing fixtures, And a bunch of little things I can not recall. the machine was a little dirty but in great shape. this guy didn't have an end mill over 1/2. all in all I think it was a fair deal. once Iget it all back together I will put up some pics of what I got.

I have made a few chips with mine, but still need to make some Tee nuts to adapt my smaller vise from G0704 Grizzly to mine - I just had it jury rigged to see how it was going to work. The X and Y dials on mine are settable, but not the Z - I am installing one of the little Igaging DRO's on the quill right now to fix that. By the way, I have about $300 in mine - it came with nothing but the factory stand and a lot of surface rust and mud wasp nests. I'd sure try to get it for less that $600 unless it is really nice shape.

I bought mine about 6 years ago and have been happy with it's power and stability. It's an R8 quill, which I prefer. I did have to change the seal on the lower quill bearing when I got it, but I completely go over anything I buy used anyway before putting it in service.

I added a relay operated control panel for mine so I have Forward, Reverse and Jog as well as some dynamic braking. It loads the motor heavily on shut-off until about 40% speed, then the motor field collapses and it coasts normally to a stop. Jogging too much (7-8x) will trip my 20 amp (220v) breaker, not a big deal normally.

I would like more quill travel! Some sort of readout on the quill is needed. Cranking the head up and down for different set-ups gets old fast. It will be replaced by a knee mill, preferably an old Bridgeport, someday. Until then, it gets the job done reliably.

A DRO would be nice. It's not a piece of junk, just simple.
Pix here if you like http://home.comcast.net/~msed01/shop.html

Mark

no surface rust. It came with 2 angle vices a collet holding fixture a lathe dog, some end mills and holders. Two ground fixture mounting plates. a 2" face mill still with rubber on the cutting edges. the manual. some gun smithing fixtures, And a bunch of little things I can not recall. the machine was a little dirty but in great shape. this guy didn't have an end mill over 1/2. all in all I think it was a fair deal. once Iget it all back together I will put up some pics of what I got.

Can't wait to see it - go ahead and post a few "before pics" even. There is a guy on this forum (in the for sale section, I believe) that has the Igaging DRO's for sale - the 6" one like I am mounting on the quill of mine is less that $25. Better than the ebay price...

I will post some when I get back home. got a call out to rock Island, Il for work. so I will be gone till the week end.(good thing though the wife was not happy that I bought a new toy) I will get the before photos but I don't think I will get much done on it. By the way did I mention it turned out to be a 15 not 16. so the price went down.

Can't wait to see it - go ahead and post a few "before pics" even. There is a guy on this forum (in the for sale section, I believe) that has the Igaging DRO's for sale - the 6" one like I am mounting on the quill of mine is less that $25. Better than the ebay price...

Back