Jet 1336pbd rewire.

It's wired back to 110v now. After I couldn't make it work two different ways on 220v I decided the heck with it and wired it back 110v.

Got the motor and switch set back up for 110 and rewired it in the breaker panel, dropped it in drive and it went backwards. Huh?

Reverse? Nothing. Okay. So I raided my trashcan for the old pieces of wire from the switch to the motor and was studying the pics from before disassembly and I had it all jacked up.

My new wire only had two colors in common with the old and I just relabled the different colors on my own. The letters and numbers in the switch panel apparently do not line up with the letters in the motor. 4 on the motor had a U beside it and 5 had V beside it. Apparently that don't mean jack. The black wire which is labeled 1 on the switch goes to 5 on the motor, not 1.

So I had U from the switch on 4, supposed to be on 1. V from the switch on 5, supposed to be 4, and 1 from the switch on 1 on the motor , supposed to be on 5.

So I had the reverse winding wired backwards to the switch, no power going to the forward side and reverse wire hooked to the starter winding.

Miracle I didn't smoke the thing. Anyway, it's back on 110v now and it will probably stay that way for the foreseeable future.
Maybe one day I'll do the 3phase vfd thing and then it'll go on 220v. I've gotva couple jobs I need it for at the moment so it's going in service as is.

I did run it a little just making sure everything else was in working order. It all did fine. Looks like I've got a half thou runout in the spindle and .003-.004 thrust forward and back at the moment.

I'll get it settled back in its spot tomorrow and level it up and it'll be good to go.

You can't always trust labeling on wires-sometimes you have to buzz them out with a meter to be certain.
Even the factory can goof occasionally
Anyhow, you got it back working and that's the important thing

Last edited:
The wiring on my Jet 1340 PBD is the same as yours, here are pictures, hope it helps, mine is working on 220v, PS I am a Journeyman electrician. One wire from the switch is not used in the 220v hookup, make sure it is insulated on the ends. This should solve your trouble.

Attachments

• 021.JPG
    021.JPG
    111 KB · Views: 7
  • 023.JPG
    023.JPG
    128 KB · Views: 7
  • 024.JPG
    024.JPG
    139.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 024.JPG
    024.JPG
    139.7 KB · Views: 6
I also have pictures of the switch connections also, but the real changes are with the jumpers at the motor connections. The switch connections are the same, except the one wire not connected at the motor.

The wiring on my Jet 1340 PBD is the same as yours, here are pictures, hope it helps, mine is working on 220v, PS I am a Journeyman electrician. One wire from the switch is not used in the 220v hookup, make sure it is insulated on the ends. This should solve your trouble.
That looks simple enough. Another electrician told me to set it up the same way. I had tried it but the other wires I had mixed up wouldn't let it work. Now that I've got that sorted out it probably would.

Notice any difference in how yours runs on 220v vs 110v, how's it start ?

That looks simple enough. Another electrician told me to set it up the same way. I had tried it but the other wires I had mixed up wouldn't let it work. Now that I've got that sorted out it probably would.

Notice any difference in how yours runs on 220v vs 110v, how's it start ?
I never had it powered up on 120 volts, I just bought this lathe, needing lots of work of course. The guy I got it from said something about him not getting the motor to run. The switch looked like it came from the ocean. With some research I found a new replacement. I would not consider running it off of 120, the voltage drop could be a problem. Motors like good voltage, performance is better without voltage drop.

You notice the motor getting hot on yours ? I left mine run about 45 minutes yesterday to run in the new bearings and the motor would almost burn you.

You notice the motor getting hot on yours ? I left mine run about 45 minutes yesterday to run in the new bearings and the motor would almost burn you.
Unfortunately I have only tested the motor a couple of times, the spindle is still out. I am hoping to reinstall it soon,

Back