Jaws For 8"chuck??

Aluminum jaws are useful for holding steel parts that you do not want to leave any marks on from chucking and usually cost less. When you turn the ID of soft jaws place a short round in the hard jaws behind them, do not turn them with the scroll loose.

Pie jaws are great for holding very thin parts which tend to chatter between narrow jaws, I use 12" jaws on an 8" chuck for repeat parts that are 8" in diameter and finish at 1/8" thick from about 7" to the center, these always chattered in regular jaws unless ran very slowly.

allpiejaws_zpssfgli5lu.jpg

Yes sir thats what I was wanting but the cheapest I've found is 189.00 which not to bad but I thought for now go with these.I hope my skills will get better or should I say more accurate then go with the better set.Start up cost on this sport is kinda expensive,all I've done so far is turn an OD on the Clausing.Between figuring out what jaws to purchase between soft and hard and making a insert tool holder set purchase and trying to figure out those dang inserts has me scratching my head.
But I do have a money paying project coming up that will allow me to purchase those hard top jaws in couple months,but I need the cheaper ones for now.Which that paying project will be posting here with questions and advice.

Last edited:
Yes sir thats what I was wanting but the cheapest I've found is 189.00 which not to bad but I thought for now go with these.I hope my skills will get better or should I say more accurate then go with the better set.Start up cost on this sport is kinda expensive,all I've done so far is turn an OD on the Clausing.Between figuring out what jaws to purchase between soft and hard and making a insert tool holder set purchase and trying to figure out those dang inserts has me scratching my head.
But I do have a money paying project coming up that will allow me to purchase those hard top jaws in couple months,but I need the cheaper ones for now.Which that paying project will be posting here with questions and advice.

I run lathes 40+ hours per week, a majority of the work is held in soft jaws due to their versatility, we have 50+ sets for mostly recurring jobs.
If you do not have an adjustable scroll chuck they are indispensable.
This is a rather extreme example, I welded tabs on the ends to hold 24" parts through the gap, a chuck bolted to a face plate gets them closer to the tools as you do not want to run the carriage into the gap.
faceplate_zps94eabuwc.jpg

That's just down right wicked!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Looks like something I'd see in my uncle's shop. I also see them at the scrap yard from time to time.

That's just down right wicked!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Mostly annoying at best.

Some 26" bronze ring castings came in last week, I suspect that something similar to this will be required.

34" plate bolted to a face plate, the work is then clamped to this plate, a time consuming process.

ringindicate_zpsvzlzf2uq.jpg

Dang that is huge and awesome to look at

Dang that is huge and awesome to look at
Not so much, it took me nearly 30 hours to make 4 parts this way, not an ideal machine for such a job, my employer once had a Bullard vertical lathe that would have made short work of it, he sold it when they moved. A 45" vertical needs a good deal of height and is just an enormous machine in every way.

Back