Japanese hex keys with a neat twist

I never try and break anything loose with a ball drive Allen. They are ok for hand turning a loose bolt in are out.
When I was still disassembling large machinery professionally, I broke the ball end off 3 times.

Each time turned a 15min job into at least a 2h ordeal, so I learned not to do that anymore!

Long T handle hex keys with a flat end for the initial break loose from now on.

Sent from my M2102J20SG using Tapatalk

When I was still disassembling large machinery professionally, I broke the ball end off 3 times.

Each time turned a 15min job into at least a 2h ordeal, so I learned not to do that anymore!

Good that you no longer misuse your ball end wrenches. They were never for breaking bolts loose. They give you access to tight spaces.

The taper end wrenches in the original post are supposed to go all the way to full fastening torque but normal ball ends are not.

It irritates me to no end that it's hard to find a set of quality square-end hex wrenches anymore, except for T-handles. Speaking of T-handles, a friend who retired from being a HS shop teacher recommended Carlyle T-handles from Napa - he said they held up very well to student abuse. I bought an SAE set on his suggestion ~3 years ago, then a metric set a year later. So far, so good.

GsT

It irritates me to no end that it's hard to find a set of quality square-end hex wrenches anymore, except for T-handles. Speaking of T-handles, a friend who retired from being a HS shop teacher recommended Carlyle T-handles from Napa - he said they held up very well to student abuse. I bought an SAE set on his suggestion ~3 years ago, then a metric set a year later. So far, so good.

GsT
Aren’t those Carlyles rebranded Bondhus T-handle hex keys and what do you mean by a square-end hex wrench?

GsT
Standard end hex keys are easy to find and order online.

Aren’t those Carlyles rebranded Bondhus T-handle hex keys and what do you mean by a square-end hex wrench?
I'd never heard that, but maybe. They seem to be higher quality than any recently purchased Bondhus wrenches from the big-box stores - I've ruined a few of the smaller wrenches in those, which either snap off or twist up because the heat treat is poor. Maybe they make a lower grade for the big stores that press all their vendors for continually declining prices?

Standard end hex keys are easy to find and order online.
"Quality" was the operative term. I see lots of them, but not from names I trust. I'm sure they're out there, but it seems most of the standard end sets are no-name imports of dubious quality. (Or old names, like Crescent, that are a mixed bag these days.)

GsT

I'd never heard that, but maybe. They seem to be higher quality than any recently purchased Bondhus wrenches from the big-box stores - I've ruined a few of the smaller wrenches in those, which either snap off or twist up because the heat treat is poor. Maybe they make a lower grade for the big stores that press all their vendors for continually declining prices?

"Quality" was the operative term. I see lots of them, but not from names I trust. I'm sure they're out there, but it seems most of the standard end sets are no-name imports of dubious quality. (Or old names, like Crescent, that are a mixed bag these days.)

GsT
Are you breaking them loosening or tightening.

I can't believe I let this sit out in the mailbox all night!

PXL_20230817_183608951.jpg

Okay, these are some serious no-BS hex keys. They have that feel that I only last experienced when I bought a 40 inch Tekton breaker bar a decade ago. It's that large S&W N-frame feel of whoa, his thing means business!

These are going in the precision toolbox on the machining side of my shop.

Maybe they make a lower grade for the big stores that press all their vendors for continually declining prices?
I highly doubt this. Such move would be a massive brand risk for Bondhus.

Last edited:
Maybe they make a lower grade for the big stores that press all their vendors

GsT

This is (or at least was) the case for B&Q here in the UK and it's subsidiary Screwfix. Both part of the Kingfisher group.

Briggs & Stratton, DeWalt, Makita were all at it- very similar externals but lower quality internals like plastic gearboxes on drills. A one or 2 digit difference in the part number.

I think Project Farm or similar has done teardowns of big box Vs proper tool shop, I'll see if I can find them on YouTube.

Currently anecdotal evidence only

Back