I've made a huge mistake

Tacky Glue
that's why I recommend the silver tarnish felt. A little more but no side effects. And I've never had rust so it's doing it's job of keeping oxidation at bay. Get some evapo rust, or use oil and fine steel wool.

Last edited:
that's why I recommend the silver tarnish felt. A little more but no side effects. And I've never had rust so it's doing it's job of keeping oxidation at bay. Get some evapo rust, or use oil and fine steel wool.

And contact cement - don’t need 100% coverage on the felt, just enough to keep it from sliding around).

And contact cement - don’t need 100% coverage on the felt, just enough to keep it from sliding around).
applying contact cement from a can is tough on any felt.. spray contact works just to add info. And it only requires a dusting.... but again, that's why I like the self stick.. it's easy. I think @wachuko liked it as well...

I did mine in one piece usually. so the bottom and sides were one piece so the bottom edges didn't have stuff hiding into them (ie.. super thin reamers or like ...)

I had a bad experience with a Kennedy tool box with felt lined drawers. I had the tools it contained rust. I think the problem was condensation on the steel that was held by the felt. I never had rust issues with wooden drawers.

Will soaking your end mills and drills in Evaporust dull the sharp cutting edge?

Roger L

Will soaking your end mills and drills in Evaporust dull the sharp cutting edge?

Roger L
It shouldn't, and didn't seem to. The manufacturer states that evaporust will only react to the rust and not the base metal no matter how long its left in the solution.

However if the sharp edge rusted then the evaporust would dissolve that rust and therefore dissolve away the once sharp edge.

Roger L

No, definitely not. Unless you let them jostle and bump into each other, but that's mechanical, not chemical.

Chemical erosion is a viable sharpening method for certain things, like sharpening files. I accidentally left some files for cleaning in a phosphoric/chromic acid solution, it etched the cutting edges of the old files and now they are extremely sharp. Used one this week, it's got bite! Those horrifying photos from that mistake are somewhere on this site. I tend to share an discuss my shop mistakes.

Evapo rust is a gentle method using tannic acid as a receptor and sulfur as an intermediate.

Evapo rust is a gentle method using tannic acid as a receptor and sulfur as an intermediate.

Isn't that what's in molasses? Slow, but cheap and a great rust remover on large surfaces.

Greg

Back