I've made a huge mistake

jmiller

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
So yesterday I finally got around to organizing all my tool boxes and sorting the many containers of tooling and accessories I had lying around. I also decided to add felt to my mill box so it wasn't just bare metal.
16937837710155752989033446858328.jpg
I went to pull out a set of parallels and discovered this
20230903_162723.jpg
I didnt give the glue enough time to cure. I barely gave it any in fact. And everything made of steel rusted that was in contact with the felt.

Cleaning all this up will be a project in of itself. Luckily I have a 5 gallon bucket of Evaporust... thats still a lot of soaking and rinsing and drying and reorganizing. Uhg.

Apparently Tacky Glue is a PVA glue similar to Titebond. Titebond definitely contains water. I believe that it is slightly acidic as well. Hopefully ypu caught it in time to avoid any serious damage.

That sucks, never even thought of something like this happening.

Apparently Tacky Glue is a PVA glue similar to Titebond. Titebond definitely contains water. I believe that it is slightly acidic as well. Hopefully ypu caught it in time to avoid any serious damage.

The leaving group for the polymerization reaction is acetate as acetic acid. You can smell that and a touch of formaldehyde coming off of PVA wood glues. The formaldehyde is how you know you have acetic acid present, as the acetate may be below odor threshold. Without formaldehyde, PVA just gels up.

An old time tip is to put camphor blocks in Your toolbox. Wonder if the top drawer is the best spot? Seems to work.

Back