I've got a question but don't know if I can explain it.

Sounds like a fun job. If you take off almost all the stock during the roughing cut, and don't have to grind but a small part of the total length, could be doable.

I guess it also depends on whether you are grinding to achieve super tight tolerances, or primarily for a great surface finish.

Can't help you there as I have only used machines with Heidenhain, Bridgeport and Fanuc controls, I suspect that Mazatrol would be interesting to play with, it is unlikley that I will I will ever get a chance to do so however.

If it is as you say "a year long job" plunk down a few grand on tools.

Well, I worked on trying to figure out the DRO so I could use it with 2 "x" axis readings. Since instructions (manual) don't help much I resorted to other ways to do what I want to do. What I came up with is if I set the slide resolution from 5um to 10um, on the "Y" axis, it will read half the actual movement. Same as reading radius/diameter on the 'x' axis. Its now ideal but what I can do is add another slide on the "X" axis and plus it into the "Y" or "Z" axis in the back of the box. So the "X" axis reads radius for my cutting tool and the "Y" axis will read the grinder. The only thing I'm not sure of yet is how accurate it will be. I will check it out later. I'd prefer to just use the DRO. It will cost me $100 for another slide, but it might be my only option.

Back