It's good for something , I just can't think for what ?

mmcmdl

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I have a little 5 HP Honda horizontal shaft engine out of a pressure washer . This starts right up and runs great . The pump froze up on me and cracked so it was scrapped . I know I can put this engine to use again somewhere , just can't think where . Anything come to mind ? :big grin: ( I can't just throw it out )

Worst case:
Conceded, running a machine tool would be a last resort. My first inclination would be to mount it on a 3 wheel bicycle. Another use could be a small aircraft. Given time to think, the possibilities are near endless.

Several years back, I "built" an electric version out of a couple of HF (cheap) winches. That was before the last stroke that left me in a chair. . . I include a description of sorts, using a Schwinn frame. I'm sure these days a commercial electric wheel would do as well or better. The article is more for someone that likes to build "stuff". There are several shortcomings, especially on the electrical end. It's all brute force simple. But doable if you like to tinker. It all depends on what the future holds whether electric or gasoline power is more appropriate.

Attachments

• #BicycleV2.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 21
I thought that direct drive pressure washer engines used a tapered shaft to mate with the pump? Making them hard to repurpose?

Several years back, I "built" an electric version out of a couple of HF (cheap) winches. That was before the last stroke that left me in a chair. . . I include a description of sorts, using a Schwinn frame. I'm sure these days a commercial electric wheel would do as well or better. The article is more for someone that likes to build "stuff". There are several shortcomings, especially on the electrical end. It's all brute force simple. But doable if you like to tinker. It all depends on what the future holds whether electric or gasoline power is more appropriate.

Wow! That is quite an article. I didn't have a chance to read the entire text but it looks impressive.

I have one as well... from a pressure washer... I am saving it for something... do not know what, but something... maybe a mini bike with the body from some VW bug fenders that I have...

To make something like this:

maxresdefault.jpeg

Motor runs on the first pull... I am not getting rid of it!

I thought that direct drive pressure washer engines used a tapered shaft to mate with the pump? Making them hard to repurpose?
Many (most?) small engines have a tapered shaft. As much to position the output device as anything. The way I see it, that's what the compound on a lathe is for. For the collar of a larger shaft, if the output hub has the bore capability. That's what a lathe is for, to make what you have fit what you want.

Back