It followed me home, I swear!

If you send it to me I would be happy to go over it and let you know all you want to know. :laughing:

Oh and I know about things following you home. It happens, I swear that is what happened to me. For some reason my wife doesn't believe me either.
I am not going to be able to actually play with it for several months myself. Truth be told, I don't have a place to put it yet, but that should work out in the next few months. I might let you baby sit it until then :p

Nice machine. You may want to add a little weight to it to prevent chatter.;) Mike
Weight in what way? I figure that thing weighs as much as a freight train! Actually, I don't see me doing really heavy cuts in any kind of material.

Weight in what way? I figure that thing weighs as much as a freight train! Actually, I don't see me doing really heavy cuts in any kind of material.
FOMOGO said:

Nice machine. You may want to add a little weight to it to prevent chatter.;) Mike

I do believe Mike was just kidding, Monarchs, Lodges, and other such great machines generally are so stout they don't wiggle at all. If you do get chatter something besides the construction/weight of the machine is wrong ;)

Do you have 3 phase, or are you looking an RPC or VFD?

Common wear items are the bronze bushings at either end of feed rod, and the square centers to the two clutch rods. I'd recommend changing out all of the way wipers, and changing out the felt filters on the two mechanical oil pumps, one in the headstock and one in the apron. The oil lines from those pumps, especially to the ways and cross slide, are often plugged up and need some attention.

The oil pump in the headstock can be accessed by pulling the headstock cover, and the one in the apron is accessed by removing the cap on the left side of the apron.

Do you have 3 phase, or are you looking an RPC or VFD?

Common wear items are the bronze bushings at either end of feed rod, and the square centers to the two clutch rods. I'd recommend changing out all of the way wipers, and changing out the felt filters on the two mechanical oil pumps, one in the headstock and one in the apron. The oil lines from those pumps, especially to the ways and cross slide, are often plugged up and need some attention.

The oil pump in the headstock can be accessed by pulling the headstock cover, and the one in the apron is accessed by removing the cap on the left side of the apron.
Planning on going with a RPC. I will have several machines that I am planning for 3 phase, and I would rather run an RPC into the shop than deal with multiple VFD's. I think it would be cheaper too.

I got some information back from Terry at Monarch today. Very sweet lady. Take a look at this, It appears that this unit might NOT be a 16" I can't imaging them putting a 4" riser under the headstock. Take a look and tell me what you guys think?

Attachments

• 16923.pdf
    102.6 KB · Views: 41
Wow, that is so cool to have that type of background information.

I look at a document like that and think about what was going on during that time frame. 1942. WWII is not quite a year old and this lathe is going to Wright, most likely to build some of their famous radial engines during a time when Japan was at its height and Germany was marching across Europe. What stories that machine could tell...

Looks like a standard 12” CK, which has an actual swing of 14.5 inches. Also looks to be set up for 1000rpm spindle which is a nice feature. Standard is something like 560rpms max.

It's a 16x30, serial 16923, Year of Manufacture: 1942 I am told. It appears to be a D1-something cam-lock spindle, unless my eyes are going bad.

View attachment 394683
I didn't set out to buy a Monarch, really I didn't. You know how these things always happen. Can you guys tell me anything about this lathe? Maybe a model? Maybe who it was originally sold to? Maybe even the original date it was sold?

Harlech

Welcome to the Monarch Club!
I also have a 12CK but it is a toolroom model. Built 5/42.
12 is just the model. Actual swing on them is 14.5".
I haven't done much to mine except clean it and change the oil in the head stock..
I do have the taper attachment off of it for a deep clean and I replaced all the bearings in it. I want to cut some big straight drills down to #3MT.
I bought the drills recently from a guy who has about a 8" South Bend. Very nice lathe but the knobs, levers and handwheels on mine weigh nearly as much as his whole lathe
I agree with you about using an RPC.
I have five 3 phase machines here and can run any of them with One RPC.

Back