It followed me home, I swear!

Harlech

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
It's a 16x30, serial 16923, Year of Manufacture: 1942 I am told. It appears to be a D1-something cam-lock spindle, unless my eyes are going bad.

IMG_1557 (1).jpg
I didn't set out to buy a Monarch, really I didn't. You know how these things always happen. Can you guys tell me anything about this lathe? Maybe a model? Maybe who it was originally sold to? Maybe even the original date it was sold?

Harlech

You can call Monarch with your serial number, and they can look it up. They may even be able to get you a copy of the original order. I believe Terry is the secretary. Nice lady.

Looks a lot like my 1944 12” CK, including the on-apron feed/threading clutch. It may be a bigger swing variant. Can you post a picture of the plate on the top right of the headstock?

Vintagemachinery.org has a wealth of older Monarch documents.

yes, D1-6 spindle chuck mount is pretty standard for Monarch

Oops, you clearly said 16x30. Vs 12” for mine, but otherwise very similar.

Generally, the machine's nameplate tells all, except possibly the DOM.

If you send it to me I would be happy to go over it and let you know all you want to know. :laughing:

Oh and I know about things following you home. It happens, I swear that is what happened to me. For some reason my wife doesn't believe me either.

Do you plan a refurbishment? Restoration? Or just put it to work?

It's going to get cleaned up, painted and put to work. My intention is not to do any additional work unless absolutely required.

Things I will probably do:
Repaint and polish the data plates
Get a professional angry pixie wrangler to check the wiring
replace the leadscrew on the cross slide if required

Things I will definately do for sure:
Install a DRO - Especially if the cross slide leadscrew is worn and can't be replaced
Make chips

Back