Is this worth trying to fix or just replace?

It might be possible to make a piloted tool to dress the faces in place. Kind of like a large counterbore cutter.

I’d first try to salvage it myself.

If it doesn’t work, you’ll be replacing it anyways…
Our 14.5 had slop in similar area.

It is built different, but we used similar approach.

We made some spacer washers from some slippery plastic like stuff we had.

Worked very well.

Provides both the spacing and being slippery it turns well and prevents additional wear.
0d42b479b6c5842921027253d67c5968.jpg
9cacb4dcaaf47881eccfcbc0b0170e7b.jpg
cd05166e1563552f109c305e669a3cee.jpg
ad30a6a9c7ec13e0ab6de7b2af6b99a7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

This is on a 10k so that portion of the casting is not removable. It’s all one piece.I’ll take some photos tomorrow.
right, that'll complicate things a bunch. Do you have enough head room on your mill and reach on a boring head to stand it up? Or would you have to side mill it with the casting bolted to the table?

It might be possible to make a piloted tool to dress the faces in place. Kind of like a large counterbore cutter.
that's a good idea, though it's a pretty large circumference to cut. To be honest, even using a file and a decent square should work. It's not a precision surface, as long as there isn't alot of endplay the finish doesn't really matter too much.

I like the pilot cutter idea but not sure how I’d implement it. Matt, like you I’d pretty much decided to Dykem it and go after it with a file. I won’t have a lot of time to work on it as I’m out of the country for a few weeks. Let you know how it turns out after I get back.

Back