Is this worth trying to fix or just replace?

Capt. Jon

Registered
Registered
This casting has a lot of wear on the casting where the worm gear sits on a 10K. I guess I could mill it down and then shim the gear but I not sure its worth the effort. I see some on eBay for the apron casting but its hard to tell from pictures if they have any wear issues. The wear on this casting is bad on both ends of the bore.30AA19DD-873A-413C-88FC-B3C47518AAF0.jpegF2523AF8-E964-4F57-8194-4D1918512A6E.jpeg

Any ideas on how to proceed with this is appreciated.

Question: Is that truly wear or just where the casting was milled square to the bore? It is a little hard to tell from the pictures although I do see a fair amount of wear in the bore. The shoulder near the keyway seems pretty square to just be wear, looks more like it was milled.

How much end play does the worm gear have when in place? I don't remember exactly how all those parts line up, but shims or a thrust washer or bearing would seem appropriate.
Edit: Now I remember, there is a nut to adjust backlash on the other side of the gear. Shim if needed, but I would be more worried about the wear inside the bore. Please correct me if I am confused about something.

Question: Is that truly wear or just where the casting was milled square to the bore? It is a little hard to tell from the pictures although I do see a fair amount of wear in the bore. The shoulder near the keyway seems pretty square to just be wear, looks more like it was milled.

How much end play does the worm gear have when in place? I don't remember exactly how all those parts line up, but shims or a thrust washer or bearing would seem appropriate.
Edit: Now I remember, there is a nut to adjust backlash on the other side of the gear. Shim if needed, but I would be more worried about the wear inside the bore. Please correct me if I am confused about something.

Piper, you are not confused. There is some bore wear not sure what the tolerances are for the bore but Ive certainly seen worse so I could probably live with that. Also the bore wall is not thick enough for a bushing. As to the backlash nut, once the keyway and key are cut the nut is tensioned and then drilled through to hold all of the components in place. So, there is really no take-up capable. It would be strictly at this point need to be adjusted by shimming. Just checking with feeler gauges there is around .090 total wear with the wearing split between both ends of the bore. I think I may start looking for a casting. But it might at least be a chance if I try to repair it. Guess at this point what's there to loose?

Edit: There is a fair amount of a wear lip around the circumference of the bore hole that may be hard to see in the photos.

All ideas welcome.

I turned mine down on the lathe, reinstalled the worm and measured the gap between the collar and the casting. Using that measurement I made a washer (stainless I think) a teeny bit thinner. That allowed me to use the same taper pin hole in the worm and collar. Ended up with a nice rotating fit with very little end to end movement. Made a new key while I was at it too.IMG_9801.JPGIMG_9802.JPGIMG_9803.JPGIMG_9804.JPGIMG_9805.JPG

Wish I could turn it down in the lathe it would make it easier. I’m sure if I decide to repair it I’m be making some type of fixture. Thanks Matt, looks like it turned out really nice!

hard to tell from the pics, but that particular casting should be removeable. Maybe take some more zoomed out pics.

This is on a 10k so that portion of the casting is not removable. It’s all one piece.I’ll take some photos tomorrow.

I’d first try to salvage it myself.

If it doesn’t work, you’ll be replacing it anyways…

Back