[Newbie] Is This Worth Restoring?

Buy and Restore or keep shopping

• Restore it!

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Keep Shopping

Votes: 7 70.0%

• Total voters
Like you offered a fair price ,if he wanted more he would have taken better care of it. If your in a hurry ck hgr they get a lot of machinery in . I just purchased a 20" drill press from them with power feed too. I had to pay almost what I payed for the press to have it shipped , but I'm still. Happy it's under$500 , I know I'll have to clean it and ck everything out but by pictures the head looks in good condition . The table looks like its got a plate added on top so that's going to go. In there add some items they say we don't even plug them in to ck if they work . So it's on you to be ready to do repairs or replace parts. Some nice lathes and mills are on there and priced fairly they let you make offers too. My press they asked $359. And accepted $245.00 .....

I would keep shopping. Unless your really-really wanted the rebuild experience. There are too many VERY EXPENSIVE repairs with machinery. I see BP type mills often for 3500$ and less. Better to trailer one a few hundred miles home.

Patience is the key. I paid 1000$ for the one in my avatar. And sold off the accessories that I didn't need for around 1000$.

I don't know if it was mentioned, but the initial machine purchase sometimes is cheaper than all of the accessories, cutters, and fluids to run it. A higher mill selling price may actually be a steal if it's a package deal.

Happy Trails.

HGR is used machinery dealer on the east side of Cleveland OH A fairly large outfit. They are on the net. If you can your are best to visit the place.

HGR is used machinery dealer on the east side of Cleveland OH A fairly large outfit. They are on the net. If you can your are best to visit the place.
Thanks for explaining that HGR is a machinery warehouse with all kinds of machines , most are used but it's whatever they get where they buy from. Ive looked at lots of used machines there and there pricing about matches Craigslist , of course times on Craigslist you get a it's gotto go quick price if your there . Ck there site and see for yourself plus you can make offers!!!

I have several machines and other stuff I've bought from HGR in the past few years. So far, the machines have turned out to be in decent shape after taking them apart, cleaning, re-assembling them. I've had to make a few replacement parts but overall came out smelling like a rose. It's "buyer beware" on anything you buy from them. They have lots of machines for sale that are obvious junk! Got to pay attention to the stuff offered, and don't be afraid to ask for more pictures!

I have a 745 that I rebuilt head on, still have to do knee though I am using it, Index easy to deal with them(A&D machinery I beleive). nfo hard to get, parts not readily available,aftermarket power the cheaper after market power feed do not fit, spindle bearings if bad almost $800 dollars for mathced set I beleive it was. If I had to do again I would keep lookng or buy new My 2 cents

You can buy the spindle bearings from your local bearing supplier for half that. I only paid $250 for set of bearings. Of course that was almost 20 years ago. I have two spare sets I've snagged off of eBay over the years for under $100. As for other replacement parts, yes most are not available today. Still wouldn't stop me from buying another Index mill if the opportunity cam up!

grade 5 mathced set bearings are $$$$$. Do yourself a favor unless it is obviously in great shape move on. Machine restoration is fun but machining is better!!!!

grade 5 mathced set bearings are $$$$$. Do yourself a favor unless it is obviously in great shape move on. Machine restoration is fun but machining is better!!!!

They are not that much! Looking at a set of 7007 spindle bearings. There's several listings on eBay for under $200. Here's a couple.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NSK-7007AW-...611144?hash=item2a5c9fecc8:g:yOcAAOSwpDdU2~Z1

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BARDEN-107H...751127?hash=item4d3a6db917:g:oYoAAOSw5VFWL3hI

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NSK7007CTYN...914551?hash=item280cb58537:g:uMkAAOSwMmBV4Srn

This is what Index originally put in their mills. For us H-M, we don't need super precision bearings class 9 bearings. Class 5 or P4 is plenty good for any manual mill.

Ken

Back