• Restore it!

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Keep Shopping

Votes: 7 70.0%

• Total voters

95ttoplt1

Registered
Registered
I am searching for a Bridgeport type mill and stumbled across this mill. The seller had a picture of a decent looking older machine in the ad. When he sent more pictures I was no longer impressed. Seeing how there are people that restore these machines, is this one savable? what is this worth as it sits? A little rust doesn't bother me, but it looks like the ways are rusted beyond saving to me.

0921151619c.jpg

0921151619.jpg

0921151619b.jpg

0921151617.jpg

I think it depends on several factors. 1) your liabilities 2) your interest 3) initial cost (including getting it home). As long as there are no broken pieces, it's restorable.

The picture of the head is confusing, it's been twisted around on the ram, at best it's upside down relative to the ram.

That mill will need a ton of love, sweat and $$$. Honestly, one could find a running mill for less money than you'll have restoring this one. It appearers she was left out in the elements unprotected but my opinion is only one and other more qualified folks will certainly chime in. Its sad to see machines put out to pasture for me anyhow.

That is what I was thinking. I am still shopping for my first mill. I hear all these stories of $1500 bridgeports, but all I find is 4,500 versions. This fella was asking $1500 but with this picture
155117-1.jpg

That seemed along the lines of my budget and older machine with some life left. Obviously this isn't even the mill he owned. I'm glad I didn't drive the 2.5 hours to see it.

Honestly by the time you rebuilt that mill you just may have $4500 in it. Not to mention the countless hours you will need to do the work.

It depends on if you want a major project or if you want a machine you can make chips with now.

I have rebuilt 2 mills in the last couple of years, but neither of them was in that bad condition.

Keep looking, check CL many times a day and have cash in your pocket. I've left work in the middle of the day to go look at a machine. Thankfully my boss is a machinist and he just says what are you standing here for, go get it.

That's what I have been doing. Looks like I missed a decent Index a couple weeks ago. Cash in hand and the trailer is hooked up! It just seems that they are all in California. Maybe I need to take the kids to Disney land haha

I don't want a major project. I plan on doing an in depth clean and service and possibly repaint on any machine I get. I think that is the bare minimum with the budget I'm trying to stick to. With the age of machines in my budget I expect a little surface rust on the table and external fixtures. That's easy enough to clean and doesn't impact operation of the machine.

Last edited:
My Index mill was in that bad of shape left by my dad when he passed away. It was in pieces inside his drafty shop where the humidity got to it. But went ahead and started cleaning it up and in a couple of years in my spare time, had it up and running. The slides cleaned up nice with a honing stone and mineral spirits. Did not have to remachine any of the slides. Did take impressions against the mating parts once I determine there was no wear in the slides. Had to rescrape a couple of the gibs. Replaced all of the bearings. Had the table top reground. That was ten years ago. I don't use the mill that much, but the times I have, it does pretty good for my needs.
Unless the ways/slides are badly worn with gouges and such, I think it would be a keeper.

One thing I will say about Index mills, the slides they have on their mills are Meenite cast iron. They are slightly chilled and tough! I had a hard time trying to scrape them with a carbide scraper blade! All the Index mills I've been around were never worn out. Just abuse. Average machinist thinks he has to have a Bridgeport mill. They will turn their nose up to a Index mill if a Bridgeport is available! Index mills in my opinion are better built than Bridgeport mills were!
Ken
BTY- I might be interested in mill no. 1 if it's for free!

Thanks Ken,

I've read that same review from most that have used a Index and BP. I'm shopping for an Index now ;)

This fella was asking $1500, I offered him $400 which is twice what its worth in the current state. He said atleast $900.

I agree, if he dropped it off I would be out de-rusting and adjusting right now haha.

Do you know the differences between the 845 and 847 Mills? Want to sell yours :)

:+1: on what Ken says about the index mills,
they will run circles around a bridgeport
I had an 845, it's a hellava machine with 2hp spindle and NMTB30 taper, it fears no metal!
the 847 was slightly lighter and newer than the 845 if memory serves correctly.
i'd buy either in a New York Minute!!!

Back