Is This a SB Heavy 10?

On mine, the previous owner loaded it on the back of my old truck with forks under the bed using his tractor.

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/got-my-first-lathe-a-south-bend-10k.22935/

I took it off with a engine hoist and nylon strapping wrapped around the inside openings of the lathe bed. Take care not to cut the strapping on the sharp casting. Whatever you do, don't bend the lead screw. All up, with cabinet, it should weight a little over 700 pounds. I wouldn't separate the lathe from the cabinet if you can avoid it as with a trailer it should be easy to load and unload.

If you have a few beefy friends you could possible slide it right on the trailer. With mine, I can slide it around on the concrete by myself, with effort.

If you go the trailer route, try to have a plan for how you're going to load it so you know what to get. I got a Home Depot trailer (no uhauls in stock nearby at the time) with a tailgate that can't be removed. It required a pretty long reach to get the lathe past the opened tailgate/ramp. We wound up extending the boom all the way on an engine hoist and lifting the tailgate up so the hoist legs could roll under the tailgate to get closer to the actual trailer. Pipe rollers and a bit of muscle to bring it in. A bit sketchy. If you can get one without a ramp tailgate, it should be easier to load - unless you plan to use the ramp to roll furniture dollies up or something.

Like DoogieB said - I wrapped a round sling through my ways under the bed, being careful to avoid contact with the lead screw. The balance point on my 10L pretty much fell right under the headstock, so I had to walk and keep pressure on the tail end of the cabinet to keep it near level.

Unloading it, I used my gantry crane, and a 3" web sling tied into a loop (water knot) through the bed again, and just drove the trailer out from under it.

Another option to check for flame hardened ways is to look between the rear V-ways on the far right end. If there's a stamping that reads "DDB200RG," it's flame hardened. Though, to be fair, I only know for certain that this applies to 10L's.

I had not paid attention to that stamping on my lathe bed, but I checked and the bed has the stamp. Good to know some of the meaning.

Thanks everyone for all the help, and the education on these SB lathes. It's home.

Maybe I'll start a new thread once I get things going here in the garage. :encourage:

A CL370ZD should be a 10K..if it's the original gearbox.or tag.

A CL370ZD should be a 10K..if it's the original gearbox.or tag.

Yep, and yesterday I chucked up a piece of straight bar stock, slid the tailstock up to it, and it lined up. That's clearly a 9" tailstock, so this thing is a 9" lathe. All I can figure is the gearbox info plate, or the entire gearbox, is from a 10k. Probably the exact same gearbox they put in the 9" lathe anyway....

Last edited:
It has a 9" apron, so it would have a 9" gearbox. I think it's got the wrong tag.

Back