Is This a SB Heavy 10?

A lot of 9 and 10K parts interchange.

You might just have a 10K QCGB on a 9" lathe. It does look like your machine is a little "put together" just judging by the colors.

Do you have a hardened bed?

K

A lot of 9 and 10K parts interchange.

You might just have a 10K QCGB on a 9" lathe. It does look like your machine is a little "put together" just judging by the colors.

Do you have a hardened bed?

Yeah, the more I looked into it the more I saw that the 10k and 9 share a LOT of parts. Most parts? It seems they are more alike than they are different.

Not sure how to ID a hardened bed...

Yeah the 10K and the 9 share a ton of parts, like you said more than not.

Near the headstock, were there's zero wear, can you see scraping marks on the ways or is it just plain/smooth? If it's the latter, you probably have a hardened bed.

I'm no expert but I think you have a 9.

K

The tailstock is usually how you can identify the difference between a 9A and a 10K. The other parts appear the same in pictures. That’s where my ID went wrong. If it is a 10” Lathe with a 9” tailstock sitting on it, that won’t line up properly with the spindle. Many of the parts are interchangeable, but I can’t remember to what extent. I guess what I’m trying to say is many parts are may be interchangeable Except for the headstock and tailstock.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Despite spending over and hour inspecting the machine, including turning a piece of aluminum - thought I'd checked everything - I never put a couple of centers in the head and tailstock and slid them together to verify they line up.... was convinced it was a 9 when I went to look I guess. Maybe I'll check and verify that when I pick it up Wednesday.

Just noticed in the pics I have that the info plate on the QCGB is held on by 4 small philips head screws. That's not the way they came from the SB factory is it? Maybe someone put this info plate from a 10k that they got somewhere on a 9, who knows?

I don't think I'll worry about it too much. This is going to be a multi-year project, restoring this thing, retiring in 5 months here and will have lots of time. Looks like I've got a good, functional machine to start with. It's going to be fun!

My SB Heavy 10 has a tag on the tailstock showing the bed was flame hardened. I think this was an option when ordering.

Southbend_Heavy_10_bed_flame_hardened_tag_9436.jpg

I think after a some date in the ealry 60s all of them were hardened and they dropped the plate.

I'm 99% sure my plate is riveted on. If all the parts match I wouldn't loose much sleep over it. Paint can do wonders. ;-)

I think 9A or 10K you did just fine.

K

Another option to check for flame hardened ways is to look between the rear V-ways on the far right end. If there's a stamping that reads "DDB200RG," it's flame hardened. Though, to be fair, I only know for certain that this applies to 10L's.

Easiest thing is look at the ways near the headstock as somebody already mentioned, or at the extreme right end of the bed. If there's no visual sign of flaking/scraping, pretty good odds it's hardened.

On the small lathes, it's a soft bed or it would have an "X" as the 3rd letter on the bed: ie 22944NKX. You have a 9" toolroom lathe on a factory cabinet. If you look at the SB catalogs from that era you can find something similar. From the factory, the tag on the QCGB is fastened with drive pins.

My '74 10K is a KKX. South Bend was very, very slow to supply hardened beds. On my lathe it was an expensive $400 option, which is probably why they are so rare on the smaller lathes.

Thanks guys - I'll have a more detailed look at this thing when I get it home, provided everything goes through on the purchase as planned. I've had some odd things happen with Craigslist buys, like the guy selling it to someone else for a higher price before you can go back and get it (motorcycle), and then saying "here's your deposit back, I sold it yesterday".

Any advice on moving it? I was thinking of separating the lathe from the cabinet, and transporting them like that. But, I've seen where some heavy straps and an engine lift are used to pick the entire thing up, with the straps running under the bed of the lathe. I think I'm going to get a low bed U-haul trailer. My truck bed is like 3-4 feet up and it has a slippery plastic bed liner....

Last edited:
Back