Is this a reasonable horizontal band saw solution for a small shop?

I'd run that through the table saw.
Wear good ear protection. Other than that, it runs just fine.
yeah, that's a good point. I have used specialty non-ferrous metal blades on table saws before. I should get setup so I can do it on my saw.

Would have to be extra sure I disable the safety stop on my Saw Stop!

yeah, that's a good point. I have used specialty non-ferrous metal blades on table saws before. I should get setup so I can do it on my saw.

Would have to be extra sure I disable the safety stop on my Saw Stop!
I have a 3-HP Grizzly cabinet saw that cuts aluminum plate with ease. I've looked at those SawStop saws at Woodcraft, but they are spendy. Hopefully, I will continue to be careful enough.

Rick "always careful around saws" Denney

"always careful around saws"
Agreed. It's like airbags, will likely never fire but if it does I'll be glad it's there.
At the time of purchase, it was about $400 more than what I was looking at for a non-sawstop. I considered it a one time insurance policy payment that would be amortized over the next 20 years or more. Way cheaper than expensive surgery & rehab and I really need my hands for my job that pays the bills.

I can't think of any project I would undertake that would require cutting tubular stock bigger than 4" round or square, or solid stock bigger than 2", and this Grizzly "portable" with an accessory horizontal cutting frame seems to be able to do that. And it can be detached from the frame and used as a portable. Power seems pretty good--the 1HP claim is backed up by the 12.5-amp draw at 120VAC.

Right now, I use a repurposed cheapie miter saw turned into a metal chop saw with an abrasive blade, but it sure makes hot, ugly, and messy cuts.

Yes, I've investigated fixed horizontal metal-cutting bandsaws in my area, and nothing is that cheap. People want more than that even for a used Harbor Freight cheapie, about which reviews are mixed, and which probably is less powerful than this.

I have a vertical bandsaw already that will cut aluminum but it is not designed for steel, and of course does not make a good cut-off tool in any case.

Opinions?

Rick "recognizing that this is a compromise" Denney
Good morning, I have 2 Milwaukee portable bandsaws, 1- 4" and 1 - 6" capacity that I could not do without. These saw's are are well worth the money. The only negative is the blade length of 45" (+/-) that dull a little faster after repeated heavy cuts. That said, great for a home shop.

So, I stopped by HF today (well, yesterday) to look at the 4x6 saw. I thought I could make it work and decided to buy it to take advantage of the Labor Day discount coupon.

7D21A97F-8F86-440E-AB20-65B940500280.png

20% off the $369.95 price for the saw seemed tolerable.

You saw this coming: First, the sales guy asked me what I was driving. “A Ford Expedition EL.” Nope, we have to load this with a forklift and you must be driving a pickup or have a trailer. Says I: “it’s 143 pounds shipping weight. Set it on the ground and I’ll figure it out.” Can they not imagine sliding it off the pallet forks of a forklift? It’s a two-man lift. I’m one of them. Do they not have a single capable person to can help load product?

Next: “I’d like to use the 25% coupon.” Okay, but you have to be in the club to get the extra 5%. “Fine, give me one year.”

Next: I’m told it will be some amount over $400, in addition to the other stuff I was buying. Says I, “What about the coupon?”

Now, I’m pointed to the fine print on the coupon: “…cannot be used with Atlas, Bauer, Central Machinery, CoverPro, Hercules, Predator, compressors, generators, jacks, miter saws, safes, storage cabinets, carts, chests, and welders. … other restrictions apply.” Not that I can read that on the app, which is how they deliver coupons these days.

Basically, the coupon does not apply to anything in the store that costs more than ten bucks.

I’m usually a friendly guy who tries to be philosophical about things. HF is a store for marginal acquisitions, so one must control one’s expectations. And I try not to let annoyance prevent me from getting what I want. But they can kiss my butt. I left the other things I’d gathered up on the counter and walked out.

Back to watching FB Marketplace and Craigslist. I’ll use a hacksaw before I’ll buy that saw from HF. And I think I’ll need about a year to regain peaceful equanimity before even walking into that store again.

Rick “baited and switched for the last time” Denney

Last edited:
This is how these coupons have been for a few years now and your right just about useless for anything large only good for small items and only 1 of those so don't come out too much of a deal anymore. I used those a few times for larger stuff when you could use them on everything was a great deal. They must have gotten smart and now just don't offer much of a discount unless you buy into the club and even at that doesn't seem to be a great deal either. I just don't shop there as much as before but they still have some deals on some items. You will find a saw used but just need to keep an eye out for one. My saw is the older green one and bought it from a fellow who didn't use it much so was like new his biggest issue was the blades coming off was an easy fix after reading the owner's manual and some adjustments. Been a great saw and have done some of the mods to make it a bit better.

This is how these coupons have been for a few years now and your right just about useless for anything large only good for small items and only 1 of those so don't come out too much of a deal anymore. I used those a few times for larger stuff when you could use them on everything was a great deal. They must have gotten smart and now just don't offer much of a discount unless you buy into the club and even at that doesn't seem to be a great deal either. I just don't shop there as much as before but they still have some deals on some items. You will find a saw used but just need to keep an eye out for one. My saw is the older green one and bought it from a fellow who didn't use it much so was like new his biggest issue was the blades coming off was an easy fix after reading the owner's manual and some adjustments. Been a great saw and have done some of the mods to make it a bit better.

Every now and then they will put out one of the coupons that is actually worthwhile, but they sure weasel around with them. They had one at Memorial Day or 4th of July that could actually be used for some decent stuff. I picked up the metal shrinker / stretcher set which saved me around $30. Surprisingly that one was also allowed it to be used for welders and air compressors as I recall which could have been a nice savings but I didn't have a need for either.

Most of the time though you spend 10 minutes reading the fine print to find it is only good for 20% off of trivial items.

Back